ISPF TBGET returned valued
Joseph Reichman
2021-06-24 14:42:29 UTC
Hi

I am submitting a number of jobs and monitoring their status with Rexx/SDSF

If a job is on execution queue from ISFEXEC ST I look at he phasename variable/stem

I save the values in a ISPF table

After I do an ISFEXEC ST I do a 2 checks
1) if they are in the table
2) if their original status was awaiting execution and now it’s executing I would like to change that corresponding variable from that row to executing
So when I get a RC 0 from TBSCAN the numeric rowid is returned

I then do a TBGET with that rowid and have SAVENAME point to a variable
SAVENAME(therow)

The doc says Dialog manager will return to me a list of variables enclosed my parenthesis having the value of that row

I so say ‘ therow = ‘ therow before and after the tbget and there is nothing in therow

Thanks

ITschak Mugzach
2021-06-24 14:52:10 UTC
SAVENAME will return previously saved variables by TBADD/TBMOD. The save4d
variables are extra to the standard table defined by KEYS() and NAMES()
that defined the table "columns".

TBGET will return the variable names defined to the table with the need of
SAVENAME.

HTH
ITschak

ITschak Mugzach
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|* *Information Security Continuous Monitoring
for z/OS, x/Linux & IBM I **| z/VM coming soon *
Joseph Reichman
2021-06-24 15:08:36 UTC
Thank

So let me re-phrase if on the successful tbadd I had SAVE(namelist)

Where namelist == ‘var1 var2 var3 var4 var5’
On the the tbget if I wanted to get var5
I would code therow = var5

And have SAVENAME(therow) ?
ITschak Mugzach

ITschak Mugzach
2021-06-24 15:17:40 UTC
Wrong... Sorry. TBGET with savename will return the NAMEs of the variables
previously saved. The variables themselves will be stored, but with
savename, you will know which variables they are.

Jeremy Nicoll
2021-06-24 15:41:45 UTC
Post by Joseph Reichman
I save the values in a ISPF table
How have you defined the table - I mean what variables?
Post by Joseph Reichman
After I do an ISFEXEC ST I do a 2 checks
1) if they are in the table
2) if their original status was awaiting execution and now it’s
executing I would like to change that corresponding variable from that
row to executing
So when I get a RC 0 from TBSCAN the numeric rowid is returned
I then do a TBGET with that rowid and have SAVENAME point to a variable
SAVENAME(therow)
You shouldn't need to use these extended variables. If you defined the
table with an appropriate set of fields in each row, as soon as you TBGET
the row you want, all the corresponding variables in your rexx (or clist
or assembler program or whatever) will be set from the vars in that row
of the table.

You'd then change them as required and write the revised row back
into the table.

Extended vars are only useful if you have a table where only a
small number of rows need to store a non-standard set of extra
fields. IIRC ispf profiles also work that way - they are tables with
a single row consisting only of extended variables.
--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

Frank Clarke
2021-06-24 16:00:08 UTC
True, but sometimes (as with bill-of-materials processing) the bulk of the real data may be found primarily in extension variables.
I often have one row of a table with a key of '3F'x (less than a blank, '40'x) and store there, as extension variables, certain table-specific data such as date-last-updated or somesuch.  Then my TBDISPL specifies "ROWS(SCAN)" and I set the TBSCAN to exclude from display anything less than a blank.
On startup, I read the '3F'x row to populate any variables on that row.

Frank Clarke