SYSUPROC and SYSUEXEC
Bob Bridges
2021-06-11 16:52:57 UTC
I was just rereading the ALTLIB documentation and noticed that it mentioned
the SYSUPROC and SYSUEXEC DD names. I'm sure I've heard of them before, but
I've never used them. I've just been using SYSPROC (or sometimes SYSEXEC)
for decades.

Are there advantages to using SYSUPROC/SYSUEXEC? How come I never hear
anyone mention them?

---
Bob Bridges, ***@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313

/* Sir, Romulan Warbird decloA%}g?:NO CARRIER */

Paul Gilmartin
2021-06-11 17:14:02 UTC
Post by Bob Bridges
I was just rereading the ALTLIB documentation and noticed that it mentioned
the SYSUPROC and SYSUEXEC DD names. I'm sure I've heard of them before, but
I've never used them. I've just been using SYSPROC (or sometimes SYSEXEC)
for decades.
Are there advantages to using SYSUPROC/SYSUEXEC? How come I never hear
anyone mention them?
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.3.0?topic=SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.ikjb300/ikjb30044.htm

I have usually allocated my SYSEXEC RECFM=VB to avoid the
FB80 constraint.

I have put a UNIX diirectory in my SYSEXEC. Not supported
by IBM but it mostly works and lets me use the same EXECs
in TSO and OMVS.

-- gil

Mike Großmann
2021-06-11 17:17:03 UTC
Hi Bob,

as far as I know, the user libraries are in the search order in front of the „standard“ libraries.
So it could be a performance topic.
I usually allocate USERID.exec to SYSUEXEC.

best, Mike
Hamilton, Robert
2021-06-11 22:24:33 UTC
That's exactly it; I concatenate my personal Rexx libraries as SYSUEXEC and my own CLIST library as SYSUPROC, and then use ALTLIB to activate them. That way works regardless of the SYSPROC and SYSEXEC setup from the logon proc.

R;

Rob Hamilton
Infrastructure Engineer
Chemical Abstracts Service

Post by Bob Bridges
I was just rereading the ALTLIB documentation and noticed that it mentioned
the SYSUPROC and SYSUEXEC DD names. I'm sure I've heard of them before, but
I've never used them. I've just been using SYSPROC (or sometimes SYSEXEC)
for decades.
Are there advantages to using SYSUPROC/SYSUEXEC? How come I never hear
anyone mention them?
---
/* Sir, Romulan Warbird decloA%}g?:NO CARRIER */
Confidentiality Notice: This electronic message transmission, including any attachment(s), may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information from CAS, a division of the American Chemical Society ("ACS"). If you have received this transmission in error, be advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Please destroy all copies of the message and contact the sender immediately by either replying to this message or calling 614-447-3600.

Frank Clarke

Bob Bridges
2021-06-18 15:05:50 UTC
Aha! Then SYSUEXEC and SYSUPROC are not "activated" until the ALTLIB command turns them on? Allocating my libraries to those DDs will not by itself make them available?

---
Bob Bridges, ***@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313

/* One can believe abortion (or, for that matter, heresy) to be a serious evil without believing that the state has the authority to restrict it. -Joseph Sobran */

Hamilton, Robert
2021-06-18 15:43:46 UTC
That's correct. I allocate SYSUPROC and SYSUEXEC before I start ISPF, but have to issue ALTLIB once I'm in ISPF.
There are more considerations, too...take a look at the PASSLIB parameter along with NEWAPPL for the ISPF SELECT command.

Frank Clarke

Hamilton, Robert
2021-06-18 17:04:54 UTC
If I use ALTLIB outside of ISPF (and I do), I have to issue it again inside ISPF if I want to run EXECs from SYSUEXEC when inside. And if I do a SPLIT NEW to create a secondary ISPF session, I have to issue ALTLIB in that session too.

R;

Frank Clarke
2021-06-18 17:35:14 UTC
That's a surprise.  I wish someone well-versed in the innards of ISPF will take the time to explain why that's so.  When I first heard of this last week, I wondered if it might be a way to avoid messing with the SYSEXEC concatenation during start-up.  Disappointed...

Robin
2021-06-11 18:21:46 UTC
I used the "user" libraries (re)development of routines.

Hobart Spitz
2021-06-13 20:31:32 UTC
The best option is to use ALTLIB with the dataset option. This avoids
almost all potential conflicts with other programs'/users' own ALTLIBs.

What appears to be a down side, that ALTLIB dataset/ddname applies only to
the current logical screen under ISPF, can be an advantage. I can set up
one screen(s) as a test environment and one/others as a development
environment.with different ALTLIBs. I can then switch freely between them
as needed, SWAP [NEXT | PREV], SWAP LIST. etc. Of course, it's not limited
to two environments. (I just happen to have two.)

Create an exec in each environment that does the ALTLIB, and any other
environmental initializations, assign the EXEC commands to PF keys. If you
can't spare two PF keys, or otherwise prefer, Issue the commands in option
6. Typically the commands are used so frequently that they never roll off
the panel.

You can also do that with a single REXX EXEC that is the same in all
environments that selects the environment based on a passed argument.

I allocate SYSUEXEC to a VIO library, for performance of code common to
both environments..

OREXXMan
Would you rather pass data in move mode (*nix piping) or locate mode
(Pipes) or via disk (JCL)?
IBM has been looking for an HLL for program products; REXX is that language.