REXX and mainframe CSI (Catalog Search Interface)
b***@LOMBARD.CA
2006-04-10 16:54:55 UTC
hello LIST - not sure if any of you use this within your mainframe shop -
CSI(a supplied IBM api) allows quicker search of information related to
catalogued files. Can be called by program (cobol or ASM) and is quite
versatile. IBM provides a REXX sample in SYS1.SAMPLIB(IGGCSIRX). To make a
long story short, I use the REXX version to create a database of all sorts
of info, for monitoring and automated cleanup purposes.

One function - list ALL GDG BASE definitions and their characteristics as
per below example(I used the IBM supplied IGGCSIRX and altered for this
purpose as an example))

|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------|
| USERCAT |GDG BASE NAME | LIMIT | ATTR | GDG's |
|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------|
| | | | | |
|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------|
|CAT1 |ABCDEF.GHIJKL.| 10 | SCR |g2341-->g2350 |
| | FILE01 | | | |
|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------|
|CAT2 |ABCDZZ.GHIJKL.| 15 | NOSCR | no GDG files |
| | FILE02 | | | |
|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------|
|CAT2 |ABCDZZ.GHIJKL.| 5 | SCR |g0116-->g0120 |
| | FILE03 | | | |
|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------|

CAT1 file shows the DSN Base as having a limit of 10 and the actual GDG
Range of existing files
CAT2 file shows the DSN BASE as having a limit of 15, and NO live files -
as well, the N (under ATTR) indicates NOSCRATCH

The above results would allow me to alter all NOSCR to SCR and to delete
unused GDG BASE's, per 'no GDG files' (dependant on istorical data also)

In summary - the results are presented in an editable file, allowng the
support to alter on the fly. All masking functions(*, %) of IBM are
supported, when entering the names to search for - suggest never using less
than 2 qualifiers(** - will work but be careful), when running this,
especially in a large shop.

e.g. HLq1.Hlq2.** minimum

If any is interested in using this, feel free to let me know and I can send
- sorry - no guarantees

p.s. - apologies if a LIST email is for questions only

============
Bruce Cooke

This email is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
the sender by return email and delete this message
from your mail box without reading or copying it or
any attachments. While Lombard Canada Ltd. runs
anti-virus software on all servers and all PCs, it
cannot be held responsible for any infected files that
you may receive. Lombard Canada Ltd. advises all
recipients to virus scan any file attachments.

arlen stovall
2006-04-10 17:46:02 UTC
Bruce, I would like a copy if you don't mind. Thanks
Subject: [TSO-REXX] REXX and mainframe CSI (Catalog Search Interface)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:49:47 -0400
hello LIST - not sure if any of you use this within your mainframe shop -
CSI(a supplied IBM api) allows quicker search of information related to
catalogued files. Can be called by program (cobol or ASM) and is quite
versatile. IBM provides a REXX sample in SYS1.SAMPLIB(IGGCSIRX). To make a
long story short, I use the REXX version to create a database of all sorts
of info, for monitoring and automated cleanup purposes.
One function - list ALL GDG BASE definitions and their characteristics as
per below example(I used the IBM supplied IGGCSIRX and altered for this
purpose as an example))
|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------|
| USERCAT |GDG BASE NAME | LIMIT | ATTR | GDG's

|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------|
| | | | |

|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------|

Stocker, Herman
2006-04-10 18:06:58 UTC
Hi Bruce,

Why not put it on the CBT?

Regards, Herman Stocker
Cendant Car Rental Group
Phone: 1973-496-4847
Fax: 1973-496-3480
E-Mail: ***@Cendant.com

Bruce, I would like a copy if you don't mind. Thanks
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:49:47 -0400
|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------

-------
This email is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
return email and delete this message from your mail box without reading
or copying it or any attachments. While Lombard Canada Ltd. runs
anti-virus software on all servers and all PCs, it cannot be held
responsible for any infected files that you may receive. Lombard Canada
Ltd. advises all recipients to virus scan any file attachments.
=======
For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email
to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

Hamilton, Robert L
2006-04-11 10:58:20 UTC
I would also be interested in a copy please. Thanks.

Bob Hamilton
Systems Analyst
UT Dallas
Roberth a t ut dallas d0t edu
==================================
hello LIST - not sure if any of you use this within your mainframe shop
- CSI(a supplied IBM api) allows quicker search of information related
to catalogued files. Can be called by program (cobol or ASM) and is
quite versatile. IBM provides a REXX sample in SYS1.SAMPLIB(IGGCSIRX).
To make a long story short, I use the REXX version to create a database
of all sorts of info, for monitoring and automated cleanup purposes.

One function - list ALL GDG BASE definitions and their characteristics
as per below example(I used the IBM supplied IGGCSIRX and altered for
this purpose as an example))

|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+-----------
---|
| USERCAT |GDG BASE NAME | LIMIT | ATTR | GDG's

|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+-----------
---|
| | | | |

|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+-----------
---|
|CAT1 |ABCDEF.GHIJKL.| 10 | SCR
|g2341-->g2350 |
| | FILE01 | | |

|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+-----------
---|
|CAT2 |ABCDZZ.GHIJKL.| 15 | NOSCR | no GDG
files |
| | FILE02 | | |

|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+-----------
---|
|CAT2 |ABCDZZ.GHIJKL.| 5 | SCR
|g0116-->g0120 |
| | FILE03 | | |

|--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+-----------
---|

----
--
This email is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
return email and delete this message from your mail box without reading
or copying it or any attachments. While Lombard Canada Ltd. runs
anti-virus software on all servers and all PCs, it cannot be held
responsible for any infected files that you may receive. Lombard Canada
Ltd. advises all recipients to virus scan any file attachments.
====
==