catalog search interface with relative generation numbers
Andreas Fischer
2015-09-03 14:52:28 UTC
hi,

does anyone of you has experience with using the catalog search interface
and relative generation numbers? in ispf 3.4 (data set list utility)
relative generation numbers can be used, the catalog search interface
doesn't seem to understand them natively.

now i did some testing with the catalog search interface and found out
that i will get the generation numbers of active generation data sets for
a base gdg by using the GENLEVEL catalog field name, but still i would
need to do some extra coding or an extra call of the catalog search
interface then since i do not want the data set name only but more
detailed information about the generation data set, e.g. its volume
information.

so before going on, i thought i'll ask here if anyone knows a smarter and
smoother way to process relative generation numbers with the catalog
search interface?

regards,
andi

Bob Bridges
2015-10-24 13:37:43 UTC
I dunno what a "catalogue search interface" is, but I have a routine that
converts relative generation numbers to absolute. Is that any help?

---
Bob Bridges
***@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
***@InfoSecInc.com

/* Back in the old days, most families were close-knit. Grown children and
their parents continued to live together, under the same roof, sometimes in
the same small, crowded room, year in and year out, until they died,
frequently by strangulation. -Dave Barry */

Andreas Fischer
2015-10-27 07:39:13 UTC
hi bob,

the catalog search interface is a programming interface that is used to
obtain information about entries contained in catalogs and can be used in
rexx. it's quite fast, so i always use it when it comes to searching for
dsnames.

regards,
andi
Mickey Bee
2015-10-27 12:29:59 UTC
I use LISTCAT LEVEL, as I wrote a Rexx YEARS ago to return me the info in a
cogent format.

Robert Garrett
2015-10-24 13:53:44 UTC
Hi Andreas,

There's no way I know of to work with the CSI using relative generation
numbers. I have a general purpose REXX interface to the CSI that I use to
do just about everything it's possible to do with it. I call it with a DSN
mask and other filtering criteria (such as the record types I'm interested
in) and the field names I want back, and it returns me a nicely structured
stem with all the information I asked for. I'm not 100% clear on what it is
you're trying to do, but I think the approach might be to hit the CSI using
a mask of the GDG base, allow it to return to you all the active generations
including the other fields you're interested in, then implement the
'relative generation' logic in that routine. You'd have to loop through and
examine the results, keeping track of all the 'GOOVOO' numbers and then use
that to select the relative generations you're interested in.

Good luck,
Robert

[...]

For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email
to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

Phil Sidler
2015-10-27 19:05:28 UTC
Post by Andreas Fischer
does anyone of you has experience with using the catalog search interface
and relative generation numbers? in ispf 3.4 (data set list utility)
relative generation numbers can be used, the catalog search interface
doesn't seem to understand them natively.
Perhaps try the REALNAME() Rexx function on the CBT tape, file 929?

Don Leahy
2015-10-28 13:24:38 UTC
BPXWDYN is another way:

x = BPXWDYN("ALLOC DD(QQQ) DA('xxxx.yyyyyy.testGDG(0)') " ,
"SHR REUSE GDGNT RTDSN(dsname)")

I have tried several other approaches in the past, and this is the one that
I have settled on.