RFE to consider
Mickey Bee
2016-06-24 13:56:58 UTC
While we're at it, why not get ALLOC to recognize GDGs?

While we're at it, why not get ALLOC to recognize GDGs?

Please consider voting for this RFE to get IBM to update the ALLOC command to honor the PDSE Library and MAXGEN attributes when using LIKE.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=90546

Lionel B. Dyck (TRA Contractor)
Mainframe Systems Programmer
Enterprise Infrastructure Support (Station 200) (005OP6.3.10) VA OI&T Service Delivery & Engineering

For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

---

Bill Turner, WB4ALM
2016-06-24 16:17:51 UTC
Assuming that it still works the way it used to, GDG's CANNOT be
supported from TSO...

GDG's are not cataloged until step end, which in the case of a tso
session would be when you logout.

Furthermore, If I recall correctly (it's been 15 years since I retired)
the operating system has an enque against the GDG base name, while the
batch job step is still running.

I did write a rexx exec years ago to allow a tso user to determine what
the GDG.NAME(0) or GDG.NAME(-x) would be, but it was for READ ONLY
access of an existing DISK file. (The REXX exec returned the fully
qualified dataset name.)

(and no, I no longer have a copy of that exec.)

/s/ Bill Turner wb4alm
Mickey Bee
2016-06-24 22:26:28 UTC
Yes, but isn't it time by now?

So instead, I use BPXWDYN to to the allocation, and that works under TSO, or
MVS.

Mickey

Tom Conley
2016-06-25 02:52:34 UTC
Post by Mickey Bee
Yes, but isn't it time by now?
So instead, I use BPXWDYN to to the allocation, and that works under TSO, or
MVS.
Mickey
Can you post how you allocate a GDG with BPXWDYN? BPXWDYN just takes a
TSO ALLOC string as an argument, so if you can do it with BPXWDYN, you
should be able to do it with ALLOC.

Regards,
Tom Conley

2016-06-25 07:17:22 UTC
Post by Tom Conley
Can you post how you allocate a GDG with BPXWDYN? BPXWDYN just takes a
TSO ALLOC string as an argument, so if you can do it with BPXWDYN, you
should be able to do it with ALLOC.
Not entirely true. BPXWDYN bypasses DYNAMNBR that restricts ALLOCATE.
So in at least that respect they're different. Might there be others?

And BPXWDYN has the INFO, CONCAT, RTDSN, RTDDN, RTVOL which can't be
used in a TSO ALLOCATE string.

Anania, Philip D
2016-06-25 08:31:30 UTC
BPXWDYN and ALLOC have mostly the same parameters however they do have
differences. It also depends how the step is being run. IRXJCL will not
handle TSO commands where as IKJEFT## will.
Post by Tom Conley
Post by Mickey Bee
Yes, but isn't it time by now?
So instead, I use BPXWDYN to to the allocation, and that works under TSO, or
MVS.
Mickey
Can you post how you allocate a GDG with BPXWDYN? BPXWDYN just takes a
TSO ALLOC string as an argument, so if you can do it with BPXWDYN, you
should be able to do it with ALLOC.
Regards,
Tom Conley

"Go about your Music citizen" - PdotDdot

Mickey Bee
2016-06-25 12:23:41 UTC
My pleasure

x = BPXWDYN("ALLOC DD(XXX) DA('TEST.ALLOC.WIDGET.UNLOAD(+1)') NEW SPACE(1,1)
RECFM(F,B) LRECL(1500) DSORG(PS) CATALOG")

Mickey

Tom Conley
2016-06-25 14:28:30 UTC
Post by Mickey Bee
My pleasure
x = BPXWDYN("ALLOC DD(XXX) DA('TEST.ALLOC.WIDGET.UNLOAD(+1)') NEW SPACE(1,1)
RECFM(F,B) LRECL(1500) DSORG(PS) CATALOG")
Mickey
Mickey,

I'm running z/OS V2R1 on my system, and this doesn't work. I get a -23
when I run it the way you have it. That indicates a bad 3rd text unit.
I've tried every option I can think of, and no dice. Is your GDG SMS?

Regards,
Tom Conley

Don Leahy
2016-06-28 21:02:00 UTC
When using BPXWDYN to allocate a GDG, I normally use the GDGNT.keyword
That enables your Rexx program to see the new generation immediately
instead of at the end of the step (i.e. when your TSO session terminates).
Williams, Luke E
2016-06-29 14:22:40 UTC
Hello,

This is Luke Williams, however it is not the Luke Williams previously thought. I am an office assistant in Oregon and am not hired for this position. So if you could exclude me from further emails that would be appreciated. Have a good day.
Thanks again,
Luke Williams

Post by Tom Conley
Post by Mickey Bee
My pleasure
x = BPXWDYN("ALLOC DD(XXX) DA('TEST.ALLOC.WIDGET.UNLOAD(+1)') NEW SPACE(1,1)
RECFM(F,B) LRECL(1500) DSORG(PS) CATALOG")
Mickey
Mickey,
I'm running z/OS V2R1 on my system, and this doesn't work. I get a
-23 when I run it the way you have it. That indicates a bad 3rd text unit.
I've tried every option I can think of, and no dice. Is your GDG SMS?
Regards,
Tom Conley
For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX
American Family Insurance Company | American Family Life Insurance Company | American Family Mutual Insurance Company | American Standard Insurance Company of Ohio | American Standard Insurance Company of Wisconsin | Midvale Indemnity Company | Home Office - 6000 American Parkway | Madison, WI 53783

Permanent General Assurance Corporation | Permanent General Assurance Corporation of Ohio | The General Automobile Insurance Company, Inc. DBA The General® | Home Office - 2636 Elm Hill Pike | Nashville, TN 37214 wholly owned subsidiaries of American Family Mutual Insurance Company

*If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete this e-mail, any attachments and all copies.
Bob Bridges
2016-10-06 19:25:17 UTC
I do. I mean, I too wrote a REXX that translates a relative GDG name to an
absolute:

/* Begin: */
/* This REXX is given a GDG dataset name with a relative generation
number and returns the DSN with a GooVoo instead. */
parse source . calltyp self .
arg dsni,args; do while args<>''; parse var args arg args; select
when arg='DBG' then trace 'I'
otherwise return '!'arg; end; end

/* Process incoming DSN */
fq=left(dsni,1)="'" /* is the DSN quoted? */
if fq then dsnq=strip(dsni,,"'"); else dsnq=dsni
parse var dsnq lvl '(' rel ')' xx
if xx<>'' then return '!)...'
if \datatype(rel,'W') then call sendback dsnq
if rel>0 then rel=0

/* Table datasets under this base */
call outtrap 'OP.'
"LISTC LVL('"lvl"')"; if rc>0 then return '!LISTC='rc
call outtrap 'OFF'
ngv=0; do il=1 to op.0
parse var op.il pfx 17 dsn .
if pfx=' IN-CAT --- ' then iterate
ngv=ngv+1; gv.ngv=dsn; end

/* Return one of them */
retgv=ngv+rel
if retgv<1 then return '!Only'ngv
call sendback gv.retgv

/* Return a DSN */
sendback: parse arg dsn
if fq then dsn="'"dsn"'"
if calltyp<>'COMMAND' then exit dsn
say self'('dsni')='dsn
exit 0

/* Call tree: empty */
/* End */

The comment at the end just tells me that this REXX doesn't use any
homegrown REXX routines; otherwise it would say something like "/* Call
tree: EXECIOST ADHOCMSG INDENT */", or something of the kind.

---
Bob Bridges
***@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
***@InfoSecInc.com

/* Never let us be discouraged with ourselves; it is not when we are
conscious of our faults that we are the most wicked....And let us remember,
for our consolation, that we never perceive our sins till He begin to cure
them. -Francois Fenelon (1651-1715) */