Process to find all members in a PDS(E) with PACK ON
Lizette Koehler
2015-10-05 15:39:35 UTC
Cross posting to ISPF and REXX lists

I have an issue where I need to identify all members in a dataset with PACK ON
in the profile. Doing this manually would not be efficient as there are over
100,000 members.

Is there any easy way to do this? Or what can I build to do this?

Thanks

Lizette Koehler

Sevetson, Phil
2015-10-05 15:43:37 UTC
Lizette, is that something you can find out by examining LISTCAT or LISTDS/LISTDSI?

--Phil Sevetson
***@fisa.nyc.gov
City of New York / Financial Info Svcs Agcy
New York, NY USA 10001

For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

Baldon, David
2015-10-05 16:03:19 UTC
Pick a member to test with and dump its directory block extension area with PACK OFF and then again after setting PACK ON. See which non-date related bytes have changed.

...David

Robin Ryerse
2015-10-05 16:27:49 UTC
One of the failings of ISPF was to not identify "pack" in the directory.

2015-10-05 16:36:23 UTC
Post by Robin Ryerse
One of the failings of ISPF was to not identify "pack" in the directory.
A major failing of MVS is to delegate, abdicate actually, management
of metadata such as date, size, version, and now format to a utility
such as ISPF. Simply, if I create a member by any means, such as
IEBGENER or by allocating DD SYSPRINT to it, those data should be
created by DFSMS.

John McKown
2015-10-06 13:22:37 UTC
Post by Paul Gilmartin
Post by Robin Ryerse
One of the failings of ISPF was to not identify "pack" in the directory.
A major failing of MVS is to delegate, abdicate actually, management
of metadata such as date, size, version, and now format to a utility
such as ISPF. Simply, if I create a member by any means, such as
IEBGENER or by allocating DD SYSPRINT to it, those data should be
created by DFSMS.
Gee, an people already complain about JCL. This sounds like even more
parameters would be necessary. Or that the API would be more complicated.
And we are now assuming that the programmers would create the JCL or use
the API properly. I have my doubts on that.

​UNIX does the same thing. Perhaps even more so since a disk file in UNIX
is simply an ordered series of bytes on disk. No LRECL, no RECFM, no
_nothing_. Well, a few timestamps and the size. That's one reason why I
like to keep data in a RDMS. I adore the fact that the filesystem on the
"i" machines (S/38 -> AS/400 -> iSeries -> i) is actually an RDMS, similar
to DB2.​
Post by Paul Gilmartin
Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Lizette Koehler
2015-10-05 16:40:23 UTC
A Sounds like an RFE is in order.

I had not found anything easy to use. So everyone has confirmed my suspicion.
I agree, a lack of foresight for ISPF PROFILE info.

Thanks

Lizette
2015-10-05 18:18:59 UTC
There is a an automated solution but having been retired since 2009, I don't
have access to resources I developed that I could cobble together a
solution. In particular, there is a specific value at a specific offset of
the 1st datablock that identifies 'packed'. I also had tools to read the
directory and use the directory entries to avoid ALLOCATE to each member in
order to read the data.

Robin Ryerse
2015-10-05 16:07:26 UTC
There is no easy way. The member data must be examined

richard rozentals
2015-10-05 16:43:55 UTC
Hi Lizette,
 This is a ISPF only thing. Nothing stored directory to indicate it's packed. If you are using Endevor, I found techdoc TEC596039 has a write up on this.
Basically it says look at the the first 4 bytes of the member(not using ISPF) and if it's x'000140C6' it's packed.
Richard Rozentals

Ze'ev Atlas
2015-10-07 03:40:52 UTC
http://gsf-soft.com/Products/SCANPDS.html
They claim to have solved the issue.  For 100K members you may want to consider shelling the money.I have nothing to do with that company, just googled it.
 Ze'ev Atlas