Copying Selected Members (REXX writing JCL)
Sevetson, Phil
2015-09-01 14:36:05 UTC
I've recently had to copy a large subset of the members of a PDS to another PDS (Some JCL, from production, for changes to all the selected members). I decided that it would be more reliable to do this using code.

The code which I wrote is called PDSCOPY (of course!) and it reads a list of member names, a source PDS, and a target PDS, and then writes a series of one-step IEBGENER batch jobs to a sequential file. The sequential file is then SUBMITted (you do that part by hand, after checking the results to be sure it's what you expect!). You get a whole bunch of really quick IEBGENER jobs running through your batch initiators, a possible call from your z/OS operator, and a successful error-free copy process.

I haven't generalized the process - it's using hard-coded JCL except for the source and target PDS names, the member list, and the jobname. Is this of interest to anyone other than me?

--Phil Sevetson
***@fisa.nyc.gov<mailto:***@fisa.nyc.gov>
City of New York / Financial Info Svcs Agcy
New York, NY USA 10001

Ted MacNEIL
2015-09-01 15:19:41 UTC
Why not use a single step IEBCOPY job, instead of multiple step GENER?

-
-teD
-

Sevetson, Phil
2015-09-01 15:25:23 UTC
Ted, this was simple for several reasons.

1. I don't know the instruction set for putting an unlimited number of copy operations in a single IEBGENER exec. I'm pretty sure you can't DUMMY out the SYSIN and use SYSUT1/SYSUT2 more than once per step.
2. I believe there are upper limits (In the TIOT, right?) on the number of files you can allocate in a single step
3. There is still, as far as I know, a limit of 255 steps in a single job.
This code does not have to allow for any of those.

If you think that these are easily gotten around, I'd be willing to code a more sophisticated (?) version if you can tell me (maybe a simple two-dataset example?) how to do multiple copies in a single step.

For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

Lizette Koehler
2015-09-01 15:33:57 UTC
Phil,
If all you have is an input and an output, IEBCOPY can do that in one step. The
only changes you need to make are the INPUT/OUTPUT and MEMBERs in this sample.

//S1 EXEC PGM=IEBCOPY
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSUT3 DD UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,(10,10))
//SYSUT4 DD UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,(10,10))
//*
//INPUT DD DISP=SHR,DSN....
//OUTPUT DD DISP=SHR,DSN=...
//SYSIN DD *
COPY INDD=INPUT,OUTDD=OUTPUT
S M=(a,b,c,....)

I would look up IEBCOPY as I did this from memory. Also, you can REPLACE or
RENAME members with IEBCOPY. And I think there is also a MASK/FILTER function as
well.

Other options are LM functions in ISPF to READ the PDS and then WRITE the
members back out

Look at other functions on CBTTAPE.ORG there are probably some other options out
there as well.

If you have more specific information, there are probably ways to handle it
better in REXX.

Lizette
Don Imbriale
Ze'ev Atlas
2015-09-01 15:42:17 UTC
All you need is a rexx program to build the jcl for iebcopy, copy and select statements and submit the job.  Works every time

Zeev Atlas

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Sevetson, Phil

Martin Dunkel
2015-09-01 16:15:34 UTC
For the record, FILEAID works just fine too.

Martin Dunkel
Technology Infrastructure Services
Change Management

PNC Financial
Cleveland Ops Ctr-North,West,S
4100 W 150th St, Mail Stop: B7-YB17-02-1
Cleveland, OH 44135

(p) 216.257.5354 | (c) 440.822.8178
***@pnc.com

From: "Sevetson, Phil" <***@FISA.NYC.GOV>
To: TSO-***@VM.MARIST.EDU,
Date: 09/01/2015 11:45 AM
Sent by: TSO REXX Discussion List <TSO-***@VM.MARIST.EDU>

[...]

The contents of this email are the property of PNC. If it was not addressed to you, you have no legal right to read it. If you think you received it in error, please notify the sender. Do not forward or copy without permission of the sender. This message may be considered a commercial electronic message under Canadian law or this message may contain an advertisement of a product or service and thus may constitute a commercial electronic mail message under US law. You may unsubscribe at any time from receiving commercial electronic messages from PNC at http://pages.e.pnc.com/globalunsub/
PNC, 249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222; pnc.com

Sevetson, Phil

Martin Dunkel
2015-09-01 16:41:01 UTC
Phil,

Here is some code:

//J010 EXEC PGM=FILEAID
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSLIST DD SYSOUT=*
//DD01 DD DSN=PT43044.END.CNTL,DISP=SHR
//DD01O DD DSN=PT43044.END.CNTL.SELECT,
// DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
// UNIT=DISK,
// DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=0,DSORG=PO),
// DSNTYPE=LIBRARY,
// SPACE=(TRK,(10,10,50),,CONTIG)
//SYSIN DD *
$$DD01 COPY OUT=0,
MEMBERS=END*
/*
//

Assuming you have FILEAID in your shop. So far, I haven't worked at a
mainframe facility that doesn't have FILEAID. The DD01O could be a pre
allocated file you could then write to with DISP=SHR. It's up to you.
There is some masking flexibility with the MEMBERS= card. My example is
for a PDSE; but it will work just fine with a PDS too. I hope this helps.

Steve Coalbran
2015-09-02 06:45:05 UTC
IEBCOPY will be fastest.
Note if you have DSC installed then you can use ISPF-style member 'patterns', this is a special feature of IEBCOPY only available under the DSC license.

There is also IBM's FileManager.

REXXs using ISPF under TSO in batch can be used for more complicated logic as well as member 'patterns'.

/Steve
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 12:40:51 -0400
Phil,
//J010 EXEC PGM=FILEAID
------------------------------- History deleted -------------------------------

Lizette Koehler
2015-09-01 16:50:50 UTC
Also check out Mark Zelden's webpage. Lots of nice little Rexxes there you
might find on interest

http://www.mzelden.com/mvsutil.html

Lizette
Ted MacNEIL
2015-09-01 16:25:34 UTC
But, every shop has IEBCOPY.

-
-teD
-

Baldon, David
2015-09-01 18:46:52 UTC
I always chuckle when I see this kind of email, " Is this of interest to anyone other than me?", sent to the list. Because I know what's coming next. A bunch of suggestions on how to do it better or just different or the "why" responses. I'm not in any way saying all these responses are wrong (lots of good knowledge shared this way) or anything but I do wonder if the poster knows what's coming... :)

...David

Sevetson, Phil
2015-09-01 18:53:50 UTC
David,
I will expect this, next time. I appreciate that there are better ways to do this, and instead of trying my own cut at a solution first off, I'll probably be asking how other people do (whatever), the next time.

I do have to say, though, that I had to fight and overcome the feeling that I was being piled on, in a not entirely friendly way. I get that I don't get to _expect_ a warm reception -- this is a list full of people who are strangers to me. So, like I say, I did overcome it. But I wondered in passing how many people don't come here any more, and whether their reasons have anything to do with that.

Ze'ev Atlas
2015-09-01 19:08:02 UTC
Most of us, I hope and believe, give the better solution as we see it as a matter of business fact, or we sincerely give an advise.  I do not see a reason to chuckle.  Every one may be fixated on a not-the-best solution every now and than.  And the want to share is to be commended.

ZA

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Sevetson, Phil

Kopischke, David G.
2015-09-01 19:08:57 UTC
Phil,
I wouldn't take it like that. These communications are cold and heartless by nature. The writer(s) usually don't mean anything mean by their responses. As you found, it's a learning experience. Many of us respond with a quick "Why are you doing that ???" rather than a thoughtful "Excuse me for my ignorance..."

But there are a few that seem to want to generate trauma. You'll learn who those are the longer you watch the list...

It's always interesting to hear ideas on alternative approaches. It's almost always faster to invoke a utility of some sort, but that's also almost always the least elegant.

Hang in there,
Dave K.

[...]

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary, privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies. OppenheimerFunds may, at its sole discretion, monitor, review, retain and/or disclose the content of all email communications.

Anania, Philip D
2015-09-01 19:11:20 UTC
Hi Phil - I am a Phil as well. IT folks can be a tough crowd - lots of
egos and also lots of smart people. The thing everyone seems to forget is
we all know what we know because somehow we learned it at one time or
another. Sometimes we were mentored and other times we figured it out on
our own through trial and tribulation. All that said, you did fine by your
willingness to share something that you thought might be of use to others
as it served a purpose for you. That is a kind and admirable thing to do
and what this form is about. Getting other ideas is just others doing the
same thing. Don't even give it a second thought about taking any responses
personally. If some were provided with an edge, that says something about
the folks that responded in that manner and not about you.

Post by Sevetson, Phil
I haven't generalized the process - it's using hard-coded JCL except
for the source and target PDS names, the member list, and the jobname.
Is this of interest to anyone other than me?
--Phil Sevetson
City of New York / Financial Info Svcs Agcy New York, NY USA 10001
For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email
For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email
For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email
For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email

"Go about your Music citizen" - PdotDdot

Sevetson, Phil
2015-09-01 19:18:06 UTC
Philip,

Thanks -- I've reset my expectations and I plan on continuing to participate :-). As I say, asking before I write something makes sense.

I'm looking to see whether any of the provided solutions can be applied to a list by something simple like creating separate command lines using EXCEL CONCATENATE() functions. (IEBCOPY may turn out to allow this.) I turned to REXX because I didn't see any way of simply generating a lot of copy operations using a list as input, except for the method which I used. If I can get this to work, I'll mention it on the list. With thanks for whoever suggested it.

Walter Pachl
2015-09-01 19:19:47 UTC
Repeat:

I offer to post any working solution that you send me in my 'repository'
--
Walter

Sevetson, Phil
2015-09-02 12:24:56 UTC
I'll send you a working copy of the FILEAID code today. The IEBCOPY may have to wait a few days, since I've already got the results I need.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.
2015-09-01 20:15:00 UTC
I think stating the problem you're solving and proposing a possible solution is a good approach. Proposing a solution shows you've thought about it and are not expecting others to "do your job" but do want input. It reminds me of design and code reviews; they can be brutal but you can generally learn something that proves to be useful even if your ego is badly bruised. The worst thing to do is ignore suggestions and criticisms because of how they were delivered.

If someone no longer utilizes the list because of a particular response, it's their loss though it could be our loss as well if they were a good contributor.

Robzenuk
2015-09-02 11:52:14 UTC
I'm a day behind (or ahead as the case may be being on vacation in Europe). I agree with David's suggested approach . State your problem, suggest your current plan and ask for feedback.

I know for me, this generates the most desire to help. We know the target, we know you have tried to work through an approach and are genuinely asking for a validation or better ideas.

I know for me this list has been invaluable. That being said, heated debates do occur, but it is all educational and all solutions eventually have their place (even if the particular solution doesn't fit today).

Back to member copy approaches... I like IEBCOPY when it fits and like many have front ended it with REXX for specific projects. Sometimes IEBGENER fits better. I tend to use IEBCOPY when I have to copy multiple members and use IEBGENER for onesy-twosy stuff (and some USS stuff. As always it depends... So, like David said, knowing the target helps provide better suggestions from this very opinionated crowd.

Welcome to the list. Can you say "baptism by fire?".

Rob
Martin Dunkel
2015-09-01 19:48:42 UTC
Rexers,

It looks like this is what Phil was looking for:

//J010 EXEC PGM=FILEAID
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSLIST DD SYSOUT=*
//DD01 DD DSN=PT43044.END.CNTL,DISP=SHR
//DD01O DD DSN=PT43044.END.CNTL.SELECT,DISP=SHR
//SYSIN DD *
$$DD01 COPYMEM IF=(1,80,C'ENDPP038')
/*
//

Later...

Sevetson, Phil

Bill Ashton
2015-09-01 15:35:58 UTC
If you know the members, you could also use Library services to do a LMCOPY
to copy the members. This would allow all your code to stay within the same
program, and give you better control of things like return codes, duplicate
member errors, etc.

Check the ISPF Services Guide for more about the LMCOPY command.

Billy
Post by Sevetson, Phil
[...]
Thank you and best regards,
*Billy Ashton*

2015-09-01 23:42:40 UTC
Post by Bill Ashton
If you know the members, you could also use Library services to do a LMCOPY
to copy the members. This would allow all your code to stay within the same
program, and give you better control of things like return codes, duplicate
member errors, etc.
Yes.
Post by Bill Ashton
Check the ISPF Services Guide for more about the LMCOPY command.
LM will preserve the member stats, or allow you to update them.
Post by Bill Ashton
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Sevetson, Phil
Post by Sevetson, Phil
Ted, this was simple for several reasons.
1. I don't know the instruction set for putting an unlimited number
of copy operations in a single IEBGENER exec. I'm pretty sure you can't
DUMMY out the SYSIN and use SYSUT1/SYSUT2 more than once per step.
You needn't submit batch jobs; you can "address LINKMVS IEBGENER"
once for each member; FREE SYSUT1 and SYSUT2 and proceed to the next.

IEBGENER discards member stats.
2015-09-02 12:20:36 UTC
I think we all chuckle at the phrase "it depends", knowing it is the standard Sysprog response. But it really does...

My general rules of thumb are (in sequence):

1) Solve the problem using utilities and simple JCL.
2) Solve the problem using utilities and "complicated" JCL (PROC's, SET's, INCLUDE's, JCLLIB's, EXPORT with Symbols, etc).
3) Wrap utilities in REXX and run in batch (expose normal DD's in JCL)
4) Wrap utilities in ISPF/REXX and run in batch (expose normal DD's in JCL).
5) Write unique REXX code to solve a problem (preferably batch).
6) Write unique ISPF/REXX code to solve a problem (preferably batch).
7) write online ISPF/REXX (most of this tends to generate JCL).

The reason for the sequence is supportability... The simpler or closer to supported JCL and utilities, the more likely you are to successfully handoff the solution.

All that being said, some projects are just unique and complicated and force you to jump to the bottom and build new code from scratch.

I have written many utilities over the years but always try to solve problems with easily supported solutions first... Unfortunately, not everyone knows REXX and not everyone likes homegrown solutions (no matter how much we like to code).

Thanks,

Rob
Styles, Andy , SD EP zPlatform
2015-09-02 12:51:31 UTC
I also tend to avoid anything not supplied by IBM with z/OS as I've lost count of the number of "product removal" projects I've been involved in :-)

[...]

Lloyds Banking Group plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC95000. Telephone: 0131 225 4555. Lloyds Bank plc. Registered Office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales no. 2065. Telephone 0207626 1500. Bank of Scotland plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC327000. Telephone: 08457 21 31 41. Cheltenham & Gloucester plc. Registered Office: Barnett Way, Gloucester GL4 3RL. Registered in England and Wales 2299428. Telephone: 0845 603 1637

Lloyds Bank plc, Bank of Scotland plc are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority.

Cheltenham & Gloucester plc is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. Cheltenham & Gloucester Savings is a division of Lloyds Bank plc.

HBOS plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC218813.

This e-mail (including any attachments) is private and confidential and may contain privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete it (including any attachments) immediately. You must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it or any attachments. Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded.

Walter Pachl
2015-09-01 15:36:54 UTC
Posted on www.wpachl.at
Plug plug plug