TSO-REXX (accessing DB2) on Stack Overflow
Sevetson, Phil
2016-02-09 23:25:22 UTC
A REXX user needs help, and I'm not sure how to find him outside of the forum where he appeared.

Some poor guy just got stomped as a "n00b" on Stack Overflow (http://stackoverflow.com/ ). I signed up there today, hoping to find more people doing our thing. There is a REXX "tag", and someone used it yesterday to ask how to make his REXX-to-DB2 program return results. It looks kind of like he read code which someone else had written using the standard access format documented in the "Through the Call and Beyond" Redbook, but the code he read didn't include cursor processing.

Unfortunately, a bunch of people put his question "on hold" because it wasn't "specific" enough (I'm new; I don't know what they mean by that word, because he was asking for help and had a code example up). So I couldn't ask, or post anything because you have to have a "reputation" of 50 or better (don't ask; I don't know) in order to post a comment about anything. New people start with a "reputation" of 1.

His name is Andrei Kaliachka (http://stackoverflow.com/users/4624225/andrei-kaliachka ) . I've reached out to him through LinkedIn - which works, if he speaks English, which seems to be the case. If anyone here knows the fellow, would you please take the time to show him the "PREPARE CURSOR [C1]/OPEN CURSOR [C1]/FETCH [C1] INTO :hv1 etc./CLOSE CURSOR" process? Or point him my way and I'll do it tomorrow.

--Phil Sevetson
***@fisa.nyc.gov<mailto:***@fisa.nyc.gov>
City of New York / Financial Info Svcs Agcy
New York, NY USA 10001

Lizette Koehler
2016-02-09 23:34:26 UTC
Phil,
Let him know about Idug.org. this is the DB2 list and they can help with using DSNREXX. They also have a code archive of Shared DB2 * REXX snippets.

Lizette

Andreas Fischer
2016-02-10 07:59:54 UTC
hi phil,

i don't know this guy but i'm familiar with dsnrexx. so if this guy or you
come up with the question here, i can probably help.

regards,
andi
Sevetson, Phil
2016-02-10 13:59:03 UTC
Andreas and all,

Thanks for offers of support.

Andrei's query is pretty basic, pretty straightforward, and if he reaches out to me I can help. My post was intended to do two things:
1) Let any acquaintances of his, if they are on TSO-REXX, know that he needs help
2) Serve as a cautionary, a heads-up, that Stack Overflow is not particularly welcoming to new folks. Let the user beware; the chances of getting stomped by impatient uber-geek-wannabes for not doing things "the right way" seems to be high.

Bob Bridges
2016-04-09 15:38:10 UTC
Interesting coïncidence; I just registered and posted a question at
StackOverflow early this week. I didn't realize it was a general forum; I'd
just written a VBA/Excel program that accesses a SharePoint folder, and I
was googling around trying to figure out how to get at the SharePoint object
model to solve a problem. So I was searching only for SharePoint-related
questions, and therefore noticed only the SharePoint-related answers,
thereby garnering the incorrect impression that StackOverflow was mostly
about SharePoint.

Yeah, they have this "reputation" value for each member. You start out at
1, and it's raised when other members vote on your posts; I suppose it's
roughly analogous to a Like on Facebook.

---
Bob Bridges
***@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
***@InfoSecInc.com

/* Law #15 of combat operations: The enemy invariably attacks on two
occasions:
- When they're ready.
- When you're not. */