appropriate for discussion here - REXX in UNIX?
John McKown
2016-08-22 13:23:18 UTC
OK, the name of this forum is "TSO REXX Discussion List". I realize this
list was created back when the only REXX in z/OS (and predecessors) was in
TSO. But is it OK to as questions about REXX in UNIX. In particular how to
use ADDRESS SYSCALL functions and even how to do some TSO equivalent
processing without using TSO facilities (I'm looking for a way to verify
that a DSN exists which does not use LISTDSI or a LISTCAT - y? because I'm
strange!?! )

--
Klein bottle for rent -- inquire within.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Andreas Fischer
2016-08-22 13:32:04 UTC
hi john,

what exactly do you want to know? i've been doing some rexx stuff using
syscall, so i might be able to send you a basic example of how to use it,
but it might be really just basic.

other, when it comes to test existince of data sets, i can only recommend
you to use the catalog search interface (csi). that's for sure the better
approach, you don't need to initialize a unix environment (and that
consumes its time, unfortunately, i found out when i tried to use regular
expression by using uss...).

regards,
andi
John McKown
2016-08-22 13:50:30 UTC
On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Andreas Fischer <
Post by Andreas Fischer
hi john,
what exactly do you want to know? i've been doing some rexx stuff using
syscall, so i might be able to send you a basic example of how to use it,
but it might be really just basic.
​I don't have any specific questions at this time. I'm just making sure
that asking UNIX related questions, as they relate to REXX at least, are
within the scope of this list's topics. I.e. - I don't want to get
Post by Andreas Fischer
other, when it comes to test existince of data sets, i can only recommend
you to use the catalog search interface (csi). that's for sure the better
approach, you don't need to initialize a unix environment (and that
consumes its time, unfortunately, i found out when i tried to use regular
expression by using uss...).
​I guess that I can try that, thanks. I am working on a revision of the
RCNVTCAT REXX program so that it "embraces" the UNIX world by being able to
run in a UNIX shell and produce (upon demand) its output into a UNIX
directory instead of a PDS. I.e. to make it as usable to a UNIX shell users
as it is to a TSO ISPF user. Why am I doing this? Because Sam Golob
(CBTtape.org maintainer) asked me to​. I'm not sure exactly why. But it has
been fun. I replaced the TSO REXX only (fails in UNIX shell) usage of the
LISTDSI() with:

outtrap("junk.","*")
address tso "listc ent('"indsn"')"
lrc = rc
outtrap("OFF")

Which works fine when the program is run as a UNIX shell program. But I
just don't like it. It is not "elegant". I have already replaced all the
TSO ALLOCATE commands with BPXWDYN() calls. The code already has some, but
for some reason has a "dual path" under TSO. I don't know why, but just
going with BPXWDYN() only has worked excellently.
Post by Andreas Fischer
regards,
andi

Andreas Fischer
2016-08-22 15:16:01 UTC
alright. well i guess it can never be wrong to ask a question here, and my
impression is that we have at least one guy here who is an expert with
uss-related stuff (paul gilmartin if i remember his name correct).

personally, as stated before, i prefer using CSI for data set related
tasks in rexx. i am using BPXWDYN only in case i know ddname and want to
find out related data set names. i don't remember how i got the idea of
using it for such cases, it might have been by suggestion of paul then :-)

regards,
andi
Anania, Philip D
2016-08-22 16:11:30 UTC
I will go ahead and ask a USS question here. I am running a REXX within
IRXJCL. We can;t use IKJEFT* because we use BPXWUNIX and it must not run
as a sub task....long story.

I am using SYSCALL READFILE and WRITEFILE to access UNIX files from the
mainframe. My question is, where does the STDERR and STDOUT go? I
included STDERR and STDOUT DD's in my JCL but when a forced error occurred,
there was no output going to either of these DD's. I checked the manual
and it does refer to using OUTTRAP but that is a TSO command and will not
work when running out of IRXJCL. So, how do I get the STDERR output from
within my REXX? I tried to access STDERR. array but of course that did not
work either.

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Datum: 22.08.2016 15:51
Post by Andreas Fischer
but it might be really just basic.
​I don't have any specific questions at this time. I'm just making sure
that asking UNIX related questions, as they relate to REXX at least, are
within the scope of this list's topics. I.e. - I don't want to get
else."​
Post by Andreas Fischer
[...]
Post by Andreas Fischer
regards,
andi
--
Klein bottle for rent -- inquire within.
Maranatha! <><
John McKown
"Go about your Music citizen" - PdotDdot

Andreas Fischer
2016-08-24 07:44:23 UTC
hi philip,

since noone responded so far, i thought i'll send you an answer although
it probably won't help you much.

actually i've used batch jobs only with using IKJEFT1B and issueing unix
commands, example giving "bpxbatch sh chown ...". in all those cases, i've
never experienced problems with using dd statements STDOUT and STDERR.

for BPXWUNIX, i've always coded something like this in rexx: firc =
bpxwunix("find '" !! dirname !! "'" !! expr,, stdout., stderr.) - i assume
i will have the output in the rexx variables then (it has been some time
i've been coding those function and would need further revisiting now to
fully understand what or why i did so).

when using READFILE, i'm testing RC and RETVAL, and i use ERRNO and
ERRNOJR in case of error. i have no idea if the SYSCALL commands traps its
STDOUT or STDERR.

regards,
andi
Anania, Philip D
2016-08-24 14:18:55 UTC
Hi Andi,

Thanks for your response. It's been a long project as none of us were UNIX
savvy. I had done some UNIX scripting about 25 years ago and only worked
with it for about 6 months so the knowledge had mostly disappeared. We
were given direction by external forces and the direction turned out to be
incorrect.

We have used BPXBATCH, SYSCALL and BPXWUNIX. Each had their own issues for
us but we have setlled on using BPXWUNIX running under IRXJCL and that
seems to allow correct handshaking between MVS and UNIX so we are good to
go now.

Since we did not know a lot about SYSCALL we were checking the RC only. We
had an issue where we got a RC of - however the RETVAL was -1 caused by
space issues. Since -1 does not appear to have a specific meaning, I
wanted to see what was being returned in STDERR but I discovered there is
no STDERR for SYSCALL READILE and WRITEFILE. The easy resolution for this
was to swap SYSCALL for BPXWUNIX and I can now plod through the STDERR file
and check for errors and determine what we want to do based on the errors.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to me.

Datum: 22.08.2016 18:12
Post by Andreas Fischer
using it for such cases, it might have been by suggestion of paul then
:-)
Post by Andreas Fischer
regards,
andi
22.08.2016

Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
2016-08-22 13:47:24 UTC
Would this be worth using - it appears to work:

/* rexx */
arg dsn
address TSO
call outtrap 'x.'
"listd" dsn
call outtrap 'off'
if x.0 = 1 then say 'not found'
else say x.1

Lionel B. Dyck (TRA Contractor) <><
Mainframe Systems Programmer
Enterprise Infrastructure Support (Station 200) (005OP6.3.10)
VA OI&T Service Delivery & Engineering

For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX
John McKown
2016-08-22 13:49:22 UTC
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
/* rexx */
arg dsn
address TSO
call outtrap 'x.'
"listd" dsn
call outtrap 'off'
if x.0 = 1 then say 'not found'
else say x.1
​Yes, but that still uses a TSO function. I'm trying to remove all such.
"Just because".​

2016-08-22 16:25:05 UTC
Post by John McKown
OK, the name of this forum is "TSO REXX Discussion List". I realize this
list was created back when the only REXX in z/OS (and predecessors) was in
TSO. But is it OK to as questions about REXX in UNIX. In particular how to
use ADDRESS SYSCALL functions and even how to do some TSO equivalent
processing without using TSO facilities (I'm looking for a way to verify
that a DSN exists which does not use LISTDSI or a LISTCAT - y? because I'm
strange!?! )
Use your judgment. If the answer requires Rexx expertise, TSO-REXX; if it
requires UNIX expertise, MVS-OE. If you guess inappropriately or if you
guess appropriately, Lizette will offer a helpful redirection. Or post
to both, as someone else has done within the last hour.