Communicating with a foreground utility
Bob Bridges
2017-04-06 20:53:51 UTC
There's a CA utility that's really useful to TSS administrators, but I'd like to make it even more so by writing an interface for it. I can invoke the utility in the foreground from REXX; the problem is I'm having trouble getting it to see my commands after that.

In ISPF/TSO the commands work like this:

tso tsssim
<the simulator starts, and I start entering subcommands:>
logon a(user001) fac(cicsprod) trace
<the simulator acknowledges a valid simulated login>
$otran(abcd)
<the simulator analyses the access attempt and displays the simulated results>
quit
<the simulator sends me back to ISPF>

To our communal sorrow, REXX doesn't handle subsystem commands, so I first tried to put the commands in the queue and then invoke TSSSIM. This is how I do it for FTP, for example, and in a way that is of course how it works with TSO. But TSSSIM apparently doesn't see the stack; I had to exit TSSSIM manually and the contents of the stack were then evaluated in ISPF.

Second attempt: With ACF2 I have to write a CLIST that invokes ACF2, then issues the commands on the fly. I tried a CLIST to do this with TSSSIM, but I got no response to the commands.

Third: I tried writing the commands to DD SYSIN. Nothing.

Fourth: In the manual it says that the batch version of TSSSIM gets its commands from DD SIM$$IN, so I wrote the commands there. Still no response from TSSSIM; it fires up well enough, but apparently doesn't see any of the commands I'm trying to present to it.

I don't expect anyone here to know how to communicate with TSSSIM specifically, but are there other obvious things I should try? Another DD name, maybe?

---
Bob Bridges
***@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
***@InfoSecInc.com

/* ...a 1993 Washington Post article concerning a Centreville, MD, man who received a bill from the IRS for -- I am not making this up -- $68 billion. A lot of careless taxpayers would have simply paid this bill, but this man had the presence of mind to question it, and as a result he will be eligible for parole in just 224 years. ¶ No, seriously, he got it straightened out. The Post article doesn't say exactly how; my guess is that he will be allowed to make two easy payments of $34 billion. -from "The Revenuers are Coming!" by Dave Barry */

David Ellis
2017-04-06 21:13:28 UTC
I know nothing of TSSSIM but I would guess that it's doing a GETLINE with
the TERM bit set in the request parm list so that only input from the real,
physical terminal will satisfy the request. Data on the stack just gets
ignored (by GETLINE) and, as you have seen, once the command ends, the stack
data just gets passed on to whoever is next in line for it.

I am surprised a 'batch' version did not work if it really is a batch
version as in a completely different program unless it's looking at the
environment, figuring out it's still in TSO and ignoring the batch input.
However, since there is a batch version, can you not just submit it as a
job, complete with your input then grab the output using the SDSF REXX
interface?

Dave Ellis

[...]

For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email
to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

2017-04-06 21:19:09 UTC
Post by David Ellis
I know nothing of TSSSIM but I would guess that it's doing a GETLINE with
the TERM bit set in the request parm list so that only input from the real,
physical terminal will satisfy the request. Data on the stack just gets
ignored (by GETLINE) and, as you have seen, once the command ends, the stack
data just gets passed on to whoever is next in line for it.
"real, physical"!? You mean I have to go to a salvage yard and find
a 3274 (or VT-50?)

Does VTAM count? (Doesn't the "V" mean "Virtual"?)

Bob Bridges
2017-04-07 14:11:25 UTC
I can do that - SYSVIEW, not SDSF, but same principle - I was just hoping to avoid it. It runs quickly, so I expect the that option is workable. And I agree with you, it must be sensing whether it's running in foreground or batch and determining its input from that. (That's the way I write my REXXes, anyway.)

Thanks. If anyone else has any ideas I'd love to hear 'em.

---
Bob Bridges
***@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
***@InfoSecInc.com

/* Law #31 of combat operations: If the enemy is within range, so are you. */

Bob Bridges