Edit macro usage
Roland J. Kinsman
2016-06-09 15:14:47 UTC
Thanks for all the responses. Can people please post some examples of what kinds of things people use edit macros to do, especially when editing COBOL Source? Thanks!
Lizette Koehler
2016-06-09 16:02:36 UTC
Could you describe the problem you are trying to solve?

The general nature of your question will lead to lots of information but might
not answer your specific needs.

Are you trying to build a process to handle Cobol Source code without purchasing
a source manager like Changeman or Endevor?

If so, have you looked at SCLM?

Lizette
Dave Salt
2016-06-09 16:22:54 UTC
At a previous company I used to use a product called SmartEdit. It's specifically made for editing COBOL programs in ISPF. It's full of EXTREMELY useful features. One of my favorites was the ability to step through the COBOL source code without actually executing it. It has many hundreds of features and it's a huge time savers for COBOL programmers. I'd strongly encourage you to check it out.

Dave Salt

SimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!

http://www.mackinney.com/products/program-development/simplist.html
2016-06-09 16:13:30 UTC
Take a look at CBTTAPE.ORG for several examples of Edit Macros.
A quick look at FILE001.txt by me returns:
FILE 095 has a couple of COBOL specific macros

There is a whole lot more, but without downloading each file and processing, I do not know how many more there are.

Files 460->471 might be also of interest, these files contain the information from the ISP Guide Tape.

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer 3
UFIT
University of Florida
(352) 273-1298

2016-06-09 16:24:01 UTC
Post by Roland J. Kinsman
especially when editing COBOL Source?
/*************************************************************************/
/* The one I use frequently adds a comment block at the cursor position. */
/*************************************************************************/

That is, it adds a empty box aligned where the cursor is, then puts the
cursor where you should type your comment.

Actually, I do not use it for COBOL source, but figure it has universal
appeal.

Pedro Vera
DB2 Admin Tool
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/db2imstools/db2tools/db2admin/

Anania, Philip D
2016-06-09 16:51:10 UTC
Edit macros are key stroke savers. I don't do COBOL anymore but you could
write an EDIT MACRO to find all occurrences of a data variable/field name
and change it and rewrite the data set without having to do all the
scrolling and typing yourself. Then you could run it against every member
of a series of selected data sets and make all the changes in one
execution. And because of REXX you can use File Management Services to
write processes to do lots of nifty things so it is simply another tool in
a powerful set of tools that help you get stuff done in a more automated
format.
Post by Roland J. Kinsman
Thanks for all the responses. Can people please post some examples of
what kinds of things people use edit macros to do, especially when editing
COBOL Source? Thanks!

"Go about your Music citizen" - PdotDdot

Mickey Bee
2016-06-09 20:06:57 UTC
I have an edit macro that runs through an entire PDS of COBOL programs, and
builds files with all their called or linked programs, all their COPY or
INCLUDE statements, and their type (DB2, IMS, CICS, Report-Writer). I use
this in conjunction with some screens I wrote, and with one command I can
see the entire calling structure or a program tree, all programs that use a
certain copybook, etc.