Dataset name match routine
Hardee, Chuck
2016-07-08 12:30:47 UTC
Hello All,

I am trying to write a dataset matching routine.
The idea is, given a dataset and a mask, I need to find if the dataset conforms to the mask.
The result is somewhat similar to that performed by TSO/ISPF option 3.4 where you can say something like "XX.Y*Y.**.*ZZZ" and get back a list of datasets where the high level qualifier would always be "XX", the next level would be anything that starts and ends in "Y", then any number of qualifiers until a qualifier that ends in "ZZZ" and then 0 to any number of lower level qualifiers.
Fun, huh?
If anyone has this type of code already in place, would you be willing to share?
If not, anything similar that I might be able to use as a base?

I've written parsers and match routines before, but with this one I'm having to start from scratch so if I can get a jump on things it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

Charles (Chuck) Hardee<mailto:***@ThermoFisher.com>
Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration
EAS Information Technology

Thermo Fisher Scientific
300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275
Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412) 490-9230
***@ThermoFisher.com<mailto:***@ThermoFisher.com> | www.thermofisher.com

WORLDWIDE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent of a system responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender and delete all copies.

Höglund Lars
2016-07-08 12:41:33 UTC
How You get the datasetnames is up to You, but something like this (just an embryo)

//Lasse

TSO LISTCAT.....

if CAA_dataset_relevant(dataset) then
do
end

CAA_dataset_relevant :
/*-----------------------------------------------*/
/* Check if hit-dataset matches search argument */
/*-----------------------------------------------*/
arg caa_hitdsn .

caa_rc = true

hit = false

/* Remove the part already used by LISTCAT */
hit_rest = substr(caa_hitdsn,listc_length+2)
/* Split the rest into words and count them */
hit_rest = translate(hit_rest,' ','.')
hit_count = words(hit_rest)

search_rest_test = search_rest

/* Iterate thru the whole search argument */
do search_count
parse var search_rest_test sword search_rest_test
if sword = '' then
do
/* End of search-args, leave */
hit = true
leave
end
/* Check the same level in hit-dataset */
parse var hit_rest hword hit_rest
if hword = '' then
do
/* There are more search-args than levels in hitdsn */
hit = false
leave
end
if pos('*',sword) > 0 then
do
/* Searchlevel generic */
dummy = pos('*',sword)
dummy = pos('*',sword)
test = left(sword,dummy-1)
if abbrev(hword,test) then
/* This level ok */
hit = true
else
do
/* This level NOT ok, leave */
hit = false
leave
end
end
else
do
/* Searchlevel whole word */
if hword = sword then
/* This level ok */
hit = true
else
do
/* This level NOT ok, leave */
hit = false
leave
end
end
end /*do search_count*/

if hit then
caa_rc = true
else
caa_rc = false

return caa_rc

300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275 Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412) 490-9230 ***@ThermoFisher.com<mailto:***@ThermoFisher.com<mailto:***@ThermoFisher.com<mailto:***@ThermoFisher.com>> | www.thermofisher.com<http://www.thermofisher.com>

For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU<mailto:***@VM.MARIST.EDU> with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

Gibson, Jamie
2016-07-08 13:06:00 UTC
Check out SYS1.SAMPLIB(IGGCSIRX)
Mark Zelden has a modified version at http://www.mzelden.com/mvsfiles/catsrch.txt

Jamie

[...]

For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX
This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. To reply to our email administrator directly, send an email to ***@toysrus.com. Toys "R" Us, Inc.

Andreas Fischer
2016-07-08 13:07:25 UTC
hi,

i'm using the catalog search interface for exactly that purpose, and
adepted ibm's rexx sample for this need.

i recommend you to do the same so that you can adept the routine to your
personal needs. i can send you my code as well, but i have extended it to
some degree and, worse, i'm calling other self-written functions that you
would need to get rid of. so in the end my code probably won't help you
more than the example shipped from ibm.

regards,
andi
Hardee, Chuck
2016-07-08 13:29:13 UTC
I want to thank everyone for their replies so far, but, I think I need to restate my goal.

I am using the IDCAMS DCOLLECT command to extract dataset and volser information from our DASD farm.
As I extract the data from the output of DCOLLECT, I have to match the dataset name against two lists of masks.
The first list is a list of masks of datasets I am interested in processing.
The second list is a list of datasets that I need to eliminate from the matches against the first list.

There is no opportunity, or need, to use CSI. I started with that approach and it simply takes too long to obtain all 1800+ files for one database and I have 5 sets of database files I have to process all of them are the same quantity of files.

DCOLLECT was faster for what I am doing and I can restrict the searches to only volsers that belong to the database(s) in question.

If you remove the reference to dataset and call it anything you want, the bottom line is that I am looking for a matching routine that will allow me to take one string and check it against mask. That is what I am really asking. The masks I need to honor, however, is essentially anything that can be put into TSO/ISPF option 3.4's "DSNAME LEVEL" field. (i.e. "XX.Y*Y.**.*ZZZ")

Thanks for taking your time to think about this.
Chuck

Charles (Chuck) Hardee

Lee, Bill
2016-07-08 14:01:21 UTC
Check file 753 from Robin Ryerse on the CBT tape. It contains a WILDCARD
REXX function package that I have used in the past to solve the type of
problem you describe.

Bill
Post by Hardee, Chuck
[...]
This e-mail transmission contains information intended only for the use of
the recipient(s) named above. Further, it contains information that may be
privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply
e-mail and then delete this message from your mail system. Thank you for
your compliance.

Hardee, Chuck

Hardee, Chuck
2016-07-08 14:34:46 UTC
Well, as much as I would like to use the package, I can't.
Due to company policy I cannot install a pre-assembled and linked executable.
All executables must be assembled and linked in house, under our control, in order to be able to certify that there is no malicious code in the module anywhere.
As much as I would love to trust all authors from CBT donations, it would be my job if I were caught bringing in an unapproved executable.

Guess I'm still looking.

Thanks again, I will keep the CBT file around in the hopes that the policy changes.

Chuck

Charles (Chuck) Hardee

Lee, Bill
2016-07-08 14:40:48 UTC
Chuck.

Check the CBT tape again. It does contain all of the source code. Download
the index file and search on WILDCARD.

Bill

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Hardee, Chuck <
Post by Hardee, Chuck
[...]

Lizette Koehler
2016-07-08 14:42:53 UTC
Chuck,

If you have DFSORT, and maybe Syncsort, they probably can help.

DFSORT ICETOOL has a way to JOINKEYS, UNIQUE and DUPLICATE for file matching.

www.ibm.com has the ICETOOL manual there.

Or possibly you can load a DB2 Table and use SQL to do a similar function.

Lizette
Farley, Peter x23353
2016-07-08 14:49:01 UTC
CBT520 has the source for that function package.

HTH

Peter