Enhancement RFE for TSO DELETE xxx MASK Function
2016-06-10 00:08:11 UTC
Cross posting to IBM Main and TSO-REXX
I have just created this RFE, so you may or may not be able to vote on it. But
when available, I hope you will vote for it
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=89817
Also asked to add regular expressions ...
Good idea. Why not?
DEL HLQ.%[LX9]%A.LIST MASK This would request a delete only if the file had
somewhere in the second node LX9 and ends in A.
Where does that use of '%[' and ']%' come from? Is it customary syntax
in a facility I'm unfamiliar with? Otherwise, it's quite confusing to
those already familiar with regular expressions.
HLQ.LX9A.LIST would delete
HLQ.LX9.LIST would not delete
HLQ.ABLX92A.LIST would delete.
If I understand, the regex for this in ISPF Edit notation would be:

DELETE r'^HLQ\..*LX9.*A\.LIST$'
If you like it, please vote for it.
I'll go further. The convention should be made universal. Once, naïvely
I asked in ISPF-L (IIRC) why I can't use delimited pattern-strings in
DSLIST or member lists? "Of course not! Those work only in Edit (and
perhaps Browse)!" But why not? Think reusable code. Write the code
once (it's already been done; Edit uses it) and use it everywhere that
strings are matched.

I know; in UNIX filename matching patterns are different from regular
expressions. But here's an opportunity for z/OS to be more UNIform
than UNIX!

Alas, while matching in ISPF panels/lists is done by ISPF which can
make its own rules, TSO commands such as DELETE are a different matter
and would need to be addressed separately.

One of the great strengths of UNIX is that filename matching is done
by the shell, not by the individual commands, so it behaves UNIformly
over all commands.

Andreas Fischer
2016-06-10 07:16:14 UTC
i tested regular expressions once in rexx, using bpxwunix and expr, and
actually it worked. it's just inefficient and slow that way.

when it comes to data set names, you can use all kind of combinations of *
and % with the catalog search interface which i use heavily. haven't tried
if you can use regular expressions there as well.

regards,
andi
Datum: 10.06.2016 08:48
Betreff: Re: [TSO-REXX] Enhancement RFE for TSO DELETE xxx MASK Function
Post by Paul Gilmartin
Also asked to add regular expressions ...
Good idea. Why not?
TSO is dead that is why.
But ISPF is alive and reasonably well. ISPF Edit has lately become
o UNIX files
o UTF-8 encoding
o Regular expressions
Partly the reason I addressed ISPF more than Lizette's original
question.
Rexx could be given regular expressions in a function package using
EXECOM,
akin to awk's match()/sub()/gsub() functions.