TSO users online
Mickey Bee
2007-08-29 17:11:32 UTC
Hello peeps,

I am back at work again (took a LONG hiatus after my knock down, drag out with Changeman in DC), and I have a need. I need to be able to collect a list of TSO users logged on. We have a program here that does it, however the output comes to the TSO screen no matter what I try to use to trap it (outtrap, piping to sysout, etc).

Anyone got a piece of code for this?

TIA,

Mickey

Lindy Mayfield
2007-08-29 17:29:28 UTC
I can hack something together real quick to do this. Do you just need
the JOB ID's or more info (like CPU time, how long connected, etc)?

Behalf

Mickey Bee
2007-08-29 17:49:28 UTC
Just the users logged on, in a format I can trap in a Rexx sothat I can pop them up in a panel.

TIA,

Mickey

From: Lindy Mayfield <***@SSF.SAS.COM>

Lindy Mayfield
2007-08-29 17:58:39 UTC
Would this work for you? (You have to set whether your JOBID is T* or
TSU*)...

(There may be some extra things there... I hacked it pretty quickly
together... (-: )

/* Rexx */

Trace Off
numeric digits 20

JOBIDPFX = 'T' /* Your TSO job prefix. Could be also TSU */

CVT = c2d(storage(10,4)) /* psa+10 -> cvt */
ASCB = c2d(storage(d2x(CVT+564),4)) /* cvt+234 -> ascbh */
ASCBX = right(d2x(ASCB),8,'0')

Do while ASCB /= 0
JBNI = c2d(storage(d2x(ASCB+172),4)) /* ascb+ac -> jbni */
JBNS = c2d(storage(d2x(ASCB+176),4)) /* ascb+b0 -> jbns */
if jbni /= 0
then JOBNAME = storage(d2x(JBNI),8)
else JOBNAME = storage(d2x(JBNS),8)
ASID = c2x(storage(d2x(ASCB+36),2)) /* ascb+24 -> asid */
SWTL = c2x(storage(d2x(ASCB+196),4)) /* ascb+C4 -> swtl */
JSTL = c2x(storage(d2x(ASCB+80),4)) /* ascb+50 -> jstl */
INTS = c2x(storage(d2x(ASCB+304),8)) /* ascb+130 -> ints */
INTSD = c2d(storage(d2x(ASCB+304),4)) /* ascb+130 -> ints */
EWST = c2x(storage(d2x(ASCB+72),8)) /* ascb+48 -> ewst */
EWSTD = c2d(storage(d2x(ASCB+72),4)) /* ascb+48 -> ewst */
RCTF = c2x(storage(d2x(ASCB+102),1)) /* ascb+66 -> rctf */
ASSB = c2d(storage(d2x(ASCB+336),4)) /* ascb+150 -> assb */
JSAB = c2d(storage(d2x(ASSB+168),4)) /* assb+A8 -> jsab */
JOBID = "SUB=MSTR"

if JSAB /= 0
then JOBID = storage(d2x(JSAB+20),8) /* jsab+14 -> jobid */

IF JOBIDPFX = substr(JOBID,1,length(jobidpfx)) then
Say Jobname
ASCB = c2d(storage(d2x(ASCB+4),4)) /* ascb+4 -> next ascb */
ASCBX = right(d2x(ASCB),8,'0')
End

Return

Richards.Bob
2007-08-29 19:23:21 UTC
If Mickey is going to z/OS 1.9, I would suggest using the new REXX
support for SDSF.

Bob Richards

Would this work for you? (You have to set whether your JOBID is T* or
TSU*)...

(There may be some extra things there... I hacked it pretty quickly
together... (-: )

Snipped to save bandwidth....

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

SunTrust and Seeing beyond money are federally registered service marks of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]

Lindy Mayfield
2007-08-29 19:25:28 UTC
Sorry. )-:

Bob Bridges
2007-08-31 03:42:35 UTC
Woops! What's this? Upcoming SDSF support for REXX? That's the major
reason I always preferred IOF (though there are others). When is this and
how much support?

---
Bob Bridges, ***@attglobal.net, cell 336 382-7313
***@westfieldgrp.com, 330 791-6576

/* It is often stated that of all the theories proposed in this century,
the silliest is quantum theory. In fact, some say that the only thing that
quantum theory has going for it is that it is unquestionably correct.
-from "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku */

Laumann, James A.
2007-08-31 12:02:50 UTC
There was a session(s) on this at SHARE in San Diego. Comes as part of
Z/OS 1.9.

Fogg, George C
2007-08-31 14:54:00 UTC
Bob, check out the SHARE session 2670 -SDSF REXX. In the back of the session handouts are the links to the manuals and a new RedBook for SDSF REXX. Also, SDSF REXX is downloadable to apply to z/OS 1.8 systems if you can't wait for 1.9.
http://shareew.prod.web.sba.com/proceedingmod/abstract.cfm?abstract_id=16612&conference_id=16

George Fogg

________________________________

Mickey Bee
2007-08-29 19:37:44 UTC
Alas, I cannot, as Ford does not use SDSF, they prefer JES3 and EJES.

Thanks to all who helped, I now have what I need, a nice little scrollable popup with a list of logged on users.

Mickey

From: "Richards.Bob" <***@SUNTRUST.COM>

Richards.Bob
2007-08-29 20:32:27 UTC
Mickey,

Have you asked Phoenix Software if they can help with this request
natively? (just trying to keep it simple)

Bob Richards

From: "Richards.Bob" <***@SUNTRUST.COM>

David S Speake
2007-08-29 19:48:46 UTC
I cannot post all the code but...

If you allocate

"ALLOC NEW REUSE DD(ISFIN) unit(vio) SPACE(1) TRACKS",
"LRECL(80) BLKSIZE(800) RECFM(F B) DSORG(PS) BUFNO(1)"
"ALLOC NEW REUSE DD(ISFOUT) UNIT(SYSDA)",
"LRECL(305) BLKSIZE(27540) BUFNO(2) RECFM(F B A) DSORG(PS)",
"SPACE(5,5) CYLINDERS"

QUEUE "SYSNAME SYSJ"
QUEUE "PREFIX %*"
QUEUE "OWNER "
QUEUE "ICJW56 "
QUEUE "? "
"EXECIO * DISKW" ISFIN "(FINIS"

and

"CALL *(SDSF) '++1000,305'"

SDSF will think it is runing in batch.
Works under TSO or ISPF batch or online.
Then you have to drag the output (a single 1,000 line, 305 col screen)
back in from the ISFOUT.

I am definately going to keep/study Lindy's response.
Have two SYSPLEX, 8 LPARS in one 4 in the other, so I need SDSF
to get em all.

David
------------------( Forwarded letter 1 follows )---------------------

Cruz, Robert
2007-08-29 20:34:11 UTC
If I may ask, how did you display a pop-up list??

From: "Richards.Bob" <***@SUNTRUST.COM>

Mickey Bee
2007-08-29 20:49:07 UTC
I used the Rexx that John K. supplied. I issued an outtrap, called his rexx, parsed the data, created an ISPF table. Then I created a panel with )BODY WINDOW(20,20), and from the rexx issued an "ADDPOP" before issuing the TBDISPL.

Lindy, yours worked fine also, I just found John's easier to trap the output from. I did not want to put the ISPF code in the Rexx itself, in case it was needed at another time for a different purpose, so I left it as is and just wrote a new rexx to call his and trap the resulant output for display.

Mickey
From: "Cruz, Robert" <***@CTB.COM>

Robert Zenuk
2007-08-29 21:16:16 UTC
Lindy's approach is elegant, but LPAR specific. If you want something a
little lower on the food chain that will show all users signed on to an entire
Sysplex, you could use the TSO CONSOLE service (or SDSF or SYSVIEW or new
AXREXX or new SDSF/REXX or whatever else can issue commands) to ROUTE *ALL,D TS,L
then capture and parse the results. This would also work for a single LPAR
by simply issuing, capturing and parsing the D TS,L command results.

Rob

From: "Cruz, Robert" <***@CTB.COM>

Lindy Mayfield
2007-08-30 00:45:31 UTC
I've looked a few times at CHRISTMAS EXEC but I don't get it. (I also
haven't worked on VM/CMS in almost 20 years so maybe I'm missing
something.)

Here is one place where I found the code:
http://www.totallygeek.com/vscdb/index.php?a=s&p=0&vi=x&d=f&i=1155576301
f0430a3314b4e8541b5c26c7a59cb086

I don't understand how this could have caused so many problems. From
what I see, when you run it it reads a couple of files and sends a copy
of itself to everyone you know.

That's not a virus, AFIK. Or really much of a worm. It relies on each
person to run it that gets it to work, no?

Were there really that many people back then running it to bring down so
many systems?

Would something like it even be noticed today? I mean, I can't imagine
that this could generate more network traffic than happens each minute
from, say, spam.

Lindy

Frank Clarke
2007-08-30 01:22:01 UTC
I couldn't find it on the site you noted. Do you have it ?????
Pleasepleaseplease send me a copy: MVSREXX at tampabay dot rr dot com. I
can't read the 3.5" floppy my copy was stored on.

CHRISTMA EXEC (on VM) manufactured a panel which had (if I recall correctly) an
ASCII snowman with multi-colored snowflakes falling around him. While the user
was watching the pretty blinking lights, it opened the users NETLOG and
extracted all userids from it. Then it opened the users NAMES file and ditto.
Then it sent a copy of itself (with ACK) to every userid it could find. Then it
erased itself.

A few months before it hit I sent a note to someone in RTP asking about (-?-)
and he had set a 'delegate' for the guy down the hall. He it was who triggered
CHRISTMA EXEC at his location and I got a copy because someone I sent a note to
was on vacation! Nasty!

<***@emeamail15.emea.sas.com>

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)
Cruz, Robert
2007-08-30 01:31:51 UTC
It certainly is a virus (if you use the term "virus" to mean malware,
rather than as a specific subtype of malware). Specifically, it is a
Trojan Horse -- a program which does something desirable, but carries an
unpleasant payload hidden inside.

As the article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Tree_EXEC
points out, this was the mainframe equivalent of the "ILOVEYOU" virus,
in both that it employed the same mechanism (rebroadcasting itself to
all users in the e-mail address book), and in the magnitude of the
disruption it produced. Imagine, tens of thousands of e-mails
ricocheting back and forth within each of the affected networks, tasking
the CPUs and loading up the in-boxes (virtual readers, in this case) of
all the users.

To understand the operation and impact of this virus, see
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/5.80.html#subj1,
which mentions that IBM had to conduct a "massive network shutdown on
Friday" to stop the virus internally.

As to how this would be regarded today, we've probably become too
inurred to more vicious forms of malware to be upset by it. That in
itself is a shame.

Amusing incident: the anti-virus program on our corporate network
actually spotted the text of CHRISTMA EXEC (in the browser cache!) and
raised an alarm for it! Maybe they were afraid I'd upload it to a VM
system.

Enjoy!

Laumann, James A.
2007-08-30 01:40:50 UTC
Amusing incident: the anti-virus program on our corporate network
actually spotted the text of CHRISTMA EXEC (in the browser cache!) and
raised an alarm for it! Maybe they were afraid I'd upload it to a VM
system.

Enjoy!

Mine too - I did a copy then pasted it in to NOTEPAD and did a save.
Norton popped
up complaining, and then deleted my file. So much for play time....

Jim

Lindy Mayfield
2007-08-30 07:15:54 UTC
Mine did, too. Funny.

Cruz, Robert
2007-08-30 01:43:07 UTC
Ironically, cutting-and-pasting it into the mainframe emulator (exactly
where you don't want it :-) would circumvent the anti-virus program !

Phil Smith III
2007-08-31 01:48:14 UTC
Lindy Mayfield <***@SSF.SAS.COM> wrote:
>I've looked a few times at CHRISTMAS EXEC but I don't get it. (I also
>haven't worked on VM/CMS in almost 20 years so maybe I'm missing
>something.)

<snip>

>I don't understand how this could have caused so many problems. From
>what I see, when you run it it reads a couple of files and sends a copy
>of itself to everyone you know.

True.

>That's not a virus, AFIK. Or really much of a worm. It relies on each
>person to run it that gets it to work, no?

True.

>Were there really that many people back then running it to bring down so
>many systems? =20

Yes. Remmeber, we didn't know what a "virus" was, especially on Big Iron.

>Would something like it even be noticed today? I mean, I can't imagine
>that this could generate more network traffic than happens each minute
>from, say, spam.

Sure, it looks like trivial traffic, but we had (if we were lucky) 56K leased lines, not OC-12s (or even T1s) between sites back then. I have 15Mbit nominal to my house for $60/month; back then, that was thousands of dollars a month *if you could even get it*.

...phsiii

Robert Zenuk
2007-08-31 07:10:56 UTC
It comes in z/OS 1.9 and is pretty cool looking. Check out the Redbook.

_http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247419.html?Open_
(http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247419.html?Open)

Rob

Fogg, George C
2007-08-31 15:07:04 UTC
I should mention the SHARE session: 2814 - z/OS 1.9 System Rexx - An Introduction to SYSREXX

In this session, the speaker will introduce a new BCP component called System Rexx (SYSREXX). This component makes it possible to execute Rexx routines in an authorized environment, outside of the conventional TSO/E and batch environments currently available. The possibilities for exploiting existing Rexx code in the SYSREXX environment are vast, whether to provide operator assists or to provide routines that can be leveraged by new strategic initiatives. The speaker will discuss the new address space started during Master Scheduler initialization, along with authorization, APF, and security checking, SAF, considerations. He will cover the console and Assembler programmatic interfaces, and the commands that are unavailable in this environment. Lastly, he will discuss when IBM plans to make this available for z/OS 1.8 via a Web deliverable. This new session in San Diego is eligible for the Rexx Language SHARE Certificate of Achievement.

http://shareew.prod.web.sba.com/proceedingmod/abstract.cfm?abstract_id=15821&conference_id=16

George Fogg

________________________________

Robert Zenuk
2007-08-31 15:13:38 UTC
SYSREXX was retrofitted to z/OS 1.8. SDSF/REXX however was not retrofitted
to z/OS 1.8. I asked in one of the SDSF/REXX sessions at Share and was told
no. :-(

Rob

Fogg, George C
2007-08-31 15:16:22 UTC
My mistake, I was lead to believe that 1.9 SDSF REXX was downloadable for 1.8. Oh well,,,,,
George Fogg