Tuning Question (% NOCOMMENT REXX)
Bob Bridges
2013-03-11 21:10:49 UTC
I'm just catching up with this discussion, and I've marked a lot of places
to ask additional questions. This is one of them: I've never known about
this "/*% nocomment rexx */ thingy, and I have to guess at what it does.
But surely it does something about ignoring the comments during processing,
which confuses me because at execution time REXX does that anyway...doesn't
it?

If it helps, understand that I've never used the compiler; my experience is
entirely with interpreted TSO-REXX.

---
Bob Bridges
***@attglobal.net, cell 336 382-7313
bbridges-***@foodlion.com, 704 310-4526

/* On the international front, President Bush and Russian President Vladimir
Putin sign an arms-reduction treaty under which the U.S. will destroy about
two-thirds of its nuclear arsenal, and Russia will ''make every effort,
within reason'' to try to find out who, exactly, HAS its nuclear arsenal.
-from Dave Barry's 2002 "Year in Review" */

* as it has been mentioned, i use /*% nocomment rexx */ in the first line

Steve Thompson
2013-03-11 21:30:39 UTC
From: Bob Bridges <***@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Date: 03/11/2013 04:11 PM

I'm just catching up with this discussion, and I've marked a lot of places
to ask additional questions. This is one of them: I've never known about
this "/*% nocomment rexx */ thingy, and I have to guess at what it does.
But surely it does something about ignoring the comments during
processing,
which confuses me because at execution time REXX does that
anyway...doesn't
it?
<SNIPPAGE>

Take a look at TSO/E REXX Reference SA22-7790-09 and search for
%nocomment.

I hadn't read that part of the manual before either, because I didn't
think I needed to read those parts of the manual... So much for
assumptions.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

John P Kalinich
2013-03-11 21:58:59 UTC
I think I am the one that mentioned the nocomment thingy. But as I read more about this compression feature, I have a feeling that it may be tied to VLF (Virtual Lookaside Facility) based on this link.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r13/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.zos.r13.ikjb600%2Ffilec.htm

Regards,
John K