Regular Expressions with Rexx
Farley, Peter x23353
2017-10-10 22:33:37 UTC
I for one would be quite happy for a PCRE API from z/OS Rexx.

I am much more familiar with GNU ERE's than with PCRE's from extensive gawk (GNU awk) practice and experience. I get confused by the differences. And I miss the GNU ERE "character class" components (like [[:alpha:]], [[:digits:]], [[:xdigits:]], etc.).

But it's never too late to learn new things.

Peter

2017-10-10 23:03:30 UTC
PeterPlease check CHARACTER CLASSES in the PCRE2 documentation.  They seem to be available.

from http://www.gnu.org/software/grep/manual/html_node/Regular-Expressions.html
(Note that we provide PCRE2)

3 Regular Expressions
A regular expression is a pattern that describes a set of strings. Regular expressions are constructed analogously to arithmetic expressions, by using various operators to combine smaller expressions. grep understands three different versions of regular expression syntax: “basic” (BRE), “extended” (ERE) and “perl” (PCRE). In GNU grep, there is no difference in available functionality between the basic and extended syntaxes. In other implementations, basic regular expressions are less powerful. The following description applies to extended regular expressions; differences for basic regular expressions are summarized afterwards. Perl-compatible regular expressions give additional functionality, and are documented in the pcresyntax(3) and pcrepattern(3) manual pages, but work only if PCRE is available in the system. Ze'ev Atlas

Bob Bridges
2017-10-13 15:25:55 UTC
I used to venture gingerly into regular expressions, say once a year at most, when writing routines in VBA. But a couple of years ago I spent a tumultuous 18 months writing Excel spreadsheets for a bank RBAC project, and finally learned to employ them routinely. I'd be delighted to have the same thing in TSO-REXX. But I'm a contractor, flitting from client to client, so I'm unlikely to have access to such a package until it's part of the standard language.

ooREXX has regular expressions? That's one more reason for me to download it. Maybe it'll tip the balance.

---
Bob Bridges, cell 336 382-7313
***@gmail.com
***@InfoSecInc.com

/* Suppress friction and a machine runs fine. Suppress friction, and a society runs down. -John D MacDonald, in "A Deadly Shade of Gold" */

2017-10-16 12:05:29 UTC
I wrote a TSO REXX regex command processor years ago
https://github.com/daveyc/RTK. It supports ECMAScript regex syntax
(C++11) which is close to PCRE but not identical. It's fast too as it
doesn't have the function call overhead of establishing an LE
environment on every call like other APIs. ECMAScript doesn't support
POSIX [:digit:] expressions, instead it uses /d which is far less
verbose. I posted it on here at the time but nobody was interested which
may be due to Bob's issue of having to install it at customer sites but
probably due to the lack of interest for regexes for TSO REXX.
David Crayford
2017-10-16 12:12:42 UTC
"ECMAScript doesn't support POSIX [:digit:] expressions"

    Actually that's not true it does
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/regex/ECMAScript/#character_classes.
Ze'ev Atlas
2017-10-16 12:44:28 UTC
Does your routine support those POSIX classes?
Obviously your idea has the advantages that you have mentioned and PCRE has the disadvantages in those aspects.  The advantage of PCRE is being a standard, fully maintained package that is Perl compatible, not only EMACS compatible.
The good news is that now we have choices, your routine and PCRE may 'compete'.  Choices are always good we are told.
BTW, for those who have it installed, IBM supply the 'standard' C library with the standard POSIX regex functions.  Somebody may follow our lead and code an API for those.  They are POSIX compliant and (need some research) may or may not meed LE.  If they do not need LE, then replacing your code with a very simple API that everybody can copy rather than install may solve the installation problem... and the client may not complain about using some non-standard code.
David, do you want to look into that option or should I?
Ze'ev Atlas

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 8:16 AM, David Crayford<***@GMAIL.COM> wrote: "ECMAScript doesn't support POSIX [:digit:] expressions"

Ze'ev Atlas
2017-10-16 12:18:44 UTC
I will certainly look at itZA

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 8:13 AM, David Crayford<***@GMAIL.COM> wrote: I wrote a TSO REXX regex command processor years ago

John McKown
2017-10-16 13:35:29 UTC
Post by David Crayford
I wrote a TSO REXX regex command processor years ago
https://github.com/daveyc/RTK. It supports ECMAScript regex syntax
(C++11) which is close to PCRE but not identical. It's fast too as it
doesn't have the function call overhead of establishing an LE
environment on every call like other APIs. ECMAScript doesn't support
POSIX [:digit:] expressions, instead it uses /d which is far less
verbose. I posted it on here at the time but nobody was interested which
may be due to Bob's issue of having to install it at customer sites but
probably due to the lack of interest for regexes for TSO REXX.
​David,

I just cloned the above repository and all I saw as README.md in it. No
code.​
--
I just child proofed my house.
But the kids still manage to get in.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

David Crayford
2017-10-17 02:15:47 UTC
Post by John McKown
​David,
I just cloned the above repository and all I saw as README.md in it. No
code.​
I can't provide the source code because it contains proprietary code but
I've added the binaries as an XMIT file.

John McKown

David Crayford
2017-10-17 02:37:19 UTC
Forgot to mention. The code page is IBM-1047 so square brackets may be an issue. Don't blame me, blame brain damaged EBCDIC!
I do.

David Crayford
2017-10-17 03:14:21 UTC
Post by Ze'ev Atlas
Does your routine support those POSIX classes?
Yes. It supports anything in the grammar rules
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/regex/ECMAScript/. It's basically a
C++ program that uses the C++ standard library regex classes. It can
support multiple grammars, ECMAScript, awk, basic POSIX, extended POSIX.
Although I hard coded ECMAScript as it's the most powerful. It didn't
envisage anybody wanting to use basic POSIX grammars.
Post by Ze'ev Atlas
Obviously your idea has the advantages that you have mentioned and
PCRE has the disadvantages in those aspects.  The advantage of PCRE is
being a standard, fully maintained package that is Perl compatible,
not only EMACS compatible.
PCRE is more powerful, it supports recursion. At the time I wrote the
package I hadn't build the PCRE library on z/OS yet. ECMAScript is
pretty close though and is good enough for what I wanted.
Post by Ze'ev Atlas
The good news is that now we have choices, your routine and PCRE may
'compete'.  Choices are always good we are told.
Compete for what market. You can count the number of mainframers willing
to try new stuff on one hand. Show them something as complex as regular
expressions and they will throw it straight into the "too hard" basket.
Post by Ze'ev Atlas
BTW, for those who have it installed, IBM supply the 'standard' C
library with the standard POSIX regex functions.  Somebody may follow
our lead and code an API for those.  They are POSIX compliant and
(need some research) may or may not meed LE.  If they do not need LE,
then replacing your code with a very simple API that everybody can
copy rather than install may solve the installation problem... and the
client may not complain about using some non-standard code.
My package is a C++ program with assembler "glue" code for the CEEPIPI
bridge. The CEEPIPI bridge is the "secret sauce". I used a PEG based
parser framework from the boost C++ libraries. It's very little code but
it is very quick due to the bridging. The overhead is parsing not in
creating LE environments like a lot of REXX APIs I've seen.
Post by Ze'ev Atlas
David, do you want to look into that option or should I?
I'm not planning on spending any time on this. I wrote my package years
ago when I was using REXX. I figured that by using CEEPIPI I could write
"better" APIs than those shipped with TSO. For example, using the C
stdio fopen() and friends I could replace the likes of "EXECIO" with a
package that could handle VSAM and UNIX files and run significantly
quicker. But then I stumbled across Lua and abandoned REXX.
<https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android>
Post by David Crayford
I wrote a TSO REXX regex command processor years ago
https://github.com/daveyc/RTK.
<https://github.com/daveyc/RTK.%20>It supports ECMAScript regex
syntax
Post by David Crayford