Edit macro usage
Roland J. Kinsman
2016-06-08 11:51:18 UTC
Any guesses on percentage of COBOL Programmers who use ISPF Edit Macros in their day-to-day work?

2016-06-08 13:29:26 UTC
Post by Roland J. Kinsman
Any guesses on percentage of COBOL Programmers who use ISPF Edit Macros in their day-to-day work?
No. Do you mean macros written in COBOL or macros written in Rexx?

Fazio, Rich
2016-06-08 13:46:47 UTC
If I'm working on a mainframe project, I'm using ISPF Edit Macros.

They are fantastic for generating JCL/Control Cards. If it's something being built over and over again, I'd use ISPF Skeletons/tailoring. But for a one time, "build a system".... ISPF Edit Macros all the way.

The last project I did had over 500 jobs, each with 10-15 individualized control cards. Edit Macros and IEBUPDTE to the rescue. I built it all in a few hours.
faz

For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

Dave Salt
2016-06-08 14:06:18 UTC
Anyone who uses SimpList uses Edit Macros extensively.

Dave Salt

SimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!

http://www.mackinney.com/products/program-development/simplist.html
Roland Kinsman
2016-06-08 13:48:31 UTC
CLIST or REXX. I'm thinking about people editing COBOL source using the regular ISPF editor. I've heard of people using ISPF Edit macros to automate mundane tasks like marking changed code, inserting standard blocks of code, etc.
Farley, Peter x23353
2016-06-08 14:47:38 UTC
Mainframe programmers (in whatever language) who USE ISPF Edit Macros in day-to-day work? Probably all of them.

Mainframe programmers (in whatever language) who WRITE ISPF Edit Macros to use in their day-to-day work? Probably less than 1%.

I have personally written or updated one or two, but I far more rely on the work of many predecessors who built the tools for us to use.

Peter

Any guesses on percentage of COBOL Programmers who use ISPF Edit Macros in their day-to-day work?

Dave Salt
2016-06-08 15:23:14 UTC
Your question is difficult to answer because many people use Edit Macros without even knowing it. For example, they might type 'ED' (or something similar) on the command line while editing a JCL member and point the cursor at a data set name they want to edit. Many of those people think they just executed a regular built-in ISPF command when in fact they most likely executed an Edit Macro that was written or installed by one of their colleagues.

If you were to conduct a survey and ask people if they use Edit Macros many might say "no" when in fact the answer could very well be "yes".

2016-06-08 15:40:45 UTC
Post by Farley, Peter x23353
Mainframe programmers (in whatever language) who USE ISPF Edit Macros in day-to-day work? Probably all of them.
Mainframe programmers (in whatever language) who WRITE ISPF Edit Macros to use in their day-to-day work? Probably less than 1%.
I have personally written or updated one or two, but I far more rely on the work of many predecessors who built the tools for us to use.
Often I will code a run-of-the-mill EXEC bimodally:

o If it detects it was invoked as a macro with no argument, it operates
on the file being edited or on the content of the Edit buffer.

o And in an Edit context it's slightly fewer keystrokes to call a macro
than to call an EXEC.

It's regrettable that ISPF loathes Rexx compound symbols.

Robin
2016-06-08 17:48:50 UTC
ISPF (including ISPF EDIT) is supposed to be a "productivity tool". But its
basic design does not lend itself to being improved for what it lacks.

Sevetson, Phil
2016-06-08 18:00:25 UTC
The extensibility is supposed to be supplied by the ability to write edit macros in REXX. ::shrug:: Not something I do a lot of, myself -- I generally use REXX and file-process the code and JCL, when FA/MVS doesn't do what I need. Easier for me than trying to get fancy with Dialog Manager, since I lack some of the background in making the most effective use of that.

Mickey Bee
2016-06-08 18:17:50 UTC
WOW, I couldn't disagree more. I use edit macros all the time, I have a
process that run when I log on that also zaps the command table, etc. I use
the living hell out of ISPF and all its parts.

Mickey

Pedro Vera
2016-06-08 18:19:49 UTC
Post by Sevetson, Phil
But its basic design does not lend itself to being improved for what it
lacks.

Can you elaborate on what you want to do, but cannot do?

There is an entire manual for customization. There are numerous exits and
configuration settings. Aside from that, whenever I want to 'improve'
something, I just create a member in the ISPPLIB concatenation and modify
it, for example. It is pretty easy to do, actually.

Pedro Vera
DB2 Admin Tool
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/db2imstools/db2tools/db2admin/

Roland Kinsman
2016-06-09 11:00:55 UTC
Post by Roland J. Kinsman
Any guesses on percentage of COBOL Programmers who use ISPF Edit Macros in their day-to-day work?
Thanks for all the responses. Can people please post some examples of what kinds of things people use edit macros to do, especially when editing COBOL Source? Thanks!