How to capture IEBCOPY from TSO RECEIVE command
Lizette Koehler
2015-10-24 17:42:41 UTC
An interesting question came up on IBMMAIN, and I thought I would explore it
more here

A user is used REXX to issue TSO RECEIVE command.

The requirement is to trap the IEBCOPY output from the RECEIVE command and not
display it back to the terminal.

I have tried LOGDATASET(dsn) and NOPREVIEW with RESTORE(LOG) and have not seemed
to be able to create the desired result.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Lizette Koehler

Robert Zenuk
2015-10-24 17:54:15 UTC
Is NODISPLAY what you are looking for?

Rob

An interesting question came up on IBMMAIN, and I thought I would explore
it
more here

A user is used REXX to issue TSO RECEIVE
command.

The requirement is to trap the IEBCOPY output from the RECEIVE
command and not
display it back to the terminal.

I have tried
LOGDATASET(dsn) and NOPREVIEW with RESTORE(LOG) and have not seemed
to be able
to create the desired result.

What am I
missing?

Thanks

Lizette
Koehler

For
TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to
***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX

Lizette Koehler
2015-10-24 18:43:44 UTC
Need the output from the RECEIVE command to go to a dataset, the NODISPLAY is secondary.

I am not sure if these messages can be OUTTRAP'd

I will need to test some more with RECEIVE. But suppressing the messages is secondary to the Place the message in a dataset

Lizette

Baldon, David
2015-10-24 19:00:52 UTC
Is SYSPRINT allocated to the terminal? Try allocating it to the desired dataset in the REXX before executing the RECEIVE command.

...David

Diego Fdez. Garcia
2015-10-24 19:09:38 UTC
Hi, Lizette

Maybe this example with 'OUTTRAP' can be help:

/*** REXX ***/
SIGNAL ON Halt Name Stop
PARSE UPPER ARG Opt
X = MSG("OFF")
"CONSOLE DEACTIVATE"
cmd = 'DISPLAY NET,STATIONS,SCOPE=ALL,MAX=*'
seq1 = RANDOM(10,99); seq2 = RANDOM(1000,9999); al = 'MY'||seq1||seq2
ADDRESS "TSO"
"CONSPROF SOLDISP(NO) UNSOLDISP(NO) SOLNUM(4500) UNSOLNUM(4500)"
"CONSOLE ACTIVATE"
/* "CONSOLE SYSCMD("||cmd||") CART("||"'"||al||"'"||")" */
ADDRESS CONSOLE
"CART "||al
Interpret "'"||cmd||"'"
mrc = 0; msgindex = 0
DO WHILE (mrc = 0)
mrc = GETMSG('CNSL.','SOL',al,,3)
IF (mrc > 0) THEN Leave
DO I = 1 TO CNSL.0
msgindex = msgindex + 1
msg.msgindex = CNSL.i
SAY 'Line = '||msg.msgindex
END
END
msg.0 = msgindex
SAY 'Total lines: '||msg.0
"CONSOLE DEACTIVATE"
Y = MSG(X)
EXIT 0;

Stop:
SAY 'Cancel with RC='||rc
"CONSOLE DEACTIVATE"
Y = MSG(X)

Regards, Diego

Robert Zenuk
2015-10-24 20:52:45 UTC
If I remember right the terminal writes from RECEIVE are TPUT's and not PUTLINEs and are not be trappable. Unfortunately, I don't have time to test right now.

Rob

Maybe this example with 'OUTTRAP' can be help:

/*** REXX ***/

SIGNAL ON Halt Name Stop
PARSE
UPPER ARG Opt
X = MSG("OFF")

"CONSOLE DEACTIVATE"
cmd =
'DISPLAY NET,STATIONS,SCOPE=ALL,MAX=*'
seq1 =
RANDOM(10,99); seq2 = RANDOM(1000,9999); al = 'MY'||seq1||seq2
ADDRESS "TSO"

"CONSPROF SOLDISP(NO) UNSOLDISP(NO) SOLNUM(4500) UNSOLNUM(4500)"

"CONSOLE ACTIVATE"
/*
"CONSOLE SYSCMD("||cmd||") CART("||"'"||al||"'"||")" */
ADDRESS
CONSOLE
"CART "||al

Interpret "'"||cmd||"'"
mrc =
0; msgindex = 0
DO WHILE (mrc =
0)
mrc =
GETMSG('CNSL.','SOL',al,,3)
IF (mrc > 0)
THEN Leave
DO I = 1 TO CNSL.0

msgindex = msgindex + 1
msg.msgindex = CNSL.i
SAY
'Line = '||msg.msgindex
END
END

msg.0 = msgindex
SAY 'Total lines: '||msg.0
"CONSOLE
DEACTIVATE"
Y = MSG(X)
EXIT 0;

Stop:
SAY
'Cancel with RC='||rc
"CONSOLE DEACTIVATE"
Y = MSG(X)

Regards, Diego

<***@MINDSPRING.COM>

missing?

James Campbell
2015-10-25 02:32:51 UTC
Not quite - Session Manager traps TPUT output. Last century I trawled though a program
logic manual to discover that the TPUT SVC code tests to see if the output is coming from a
subtask of SM - and if so sends the output to SM.

Run the RECEIVE command in a batch TSO job?

One piece of knowledge that might be of use in this is that if the RECEIVE command gets a
null response to its "Enter dataset name, etc" message it substitutes the user's id for the
dataset's HLQ to get the target dataset name.

James Campbell

2015-10-25 16:32:38 UTC
On 2015-10-24, at 20:32, James Campbell wrote:

> Not quite - Session Manager traps TPUT output. Last century I trawled though a program
> logic manual to discover that the TPUT SVC code tests to see if the output is coming from a
> subtask of SM - and if so sends the output to SM.
>
> Run the RECEIVE command in a batch TSO job?
>
> One piece of knowledge that might be of use in this is that if the RECEIVE command gets a
> null response to its "Enter dataset name, etc" message it substitutes the user's id for the
> dataset's HLQ to get the target dataset name.

After many misunderstandings, including some of my own, the useful
answer seems to be to supply "SYSOUT(class)" in response to the
RECEIVE prompt. This captures the IEBCOPY SYSPRINT in spool,
which may be less useful than a data set, and even less useful than
a DDNAME, but at least it's captured.

("SYSOUT(*)" doesn't work; it goes to terminal, not to MSGCLASS.)