DATATYPE(W)?
Bob Bridges
2017-07-07 19:04:32 UTC
Frequently in my REXXing I have to determine whether a string fits a certain pattern. For example, at one client a human ID must be six bytes long, start with 'A' and two or three more upper-case letters, then end in numerals. I've gotten in the habit of using Verify for this; I define three variables

nu='0123456789'
lc='abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
uc='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'

Then I write a function, say IsUser, that checks to be sure the ID matches the constraints:

/* Judge whether the supplied character string would be a user ACID of
the type that TOPS is authorized to handle. */
isuser: procedure expose uc nu
arg aid
if length(aid)<>6 then return 0
if left(aid,1)<>'A' then return 0
pn=verify(aid,uc)
if pn<4 then return 0
return (verify(substr(aid,pn),nu)=0)

This works, and I'm not unhappy with it. But recently I saw that the Datatype function has an option 'W' for whole numbers, and this morning while looking up something for a coworker I noticed options for (U)pper and (L)ower case as well.

So I'm thinking about switching to Datatype instead of Verify. But for the 'W' option it doesn't say it's for all-numeric characters; instead it says "...if string is a REXX whole number under the current setting of NUMERIC DIGITS". Does that mean the same thing? What might be a REXX whole number but contain other characters? ("5.0", maybe?) And what does NUMERIC DIGITS have to do with whether it's a whole number? Anyone know?

---
Bob Bridges
***@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
***@InfoSecInc.com

/* Sometimes patriotism means defending your country against its government. -Edward Abbey */

David W Noon
2017-07-07 19:16:34 UTC
On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 15:05:19 -0400, Bob Bridges (***@GMAIL.COM)
wrote about "[TSO-REXX] DATATYPE(W)?" (in
<008301d2f753$faeb5a40$f0c20ec0$@gmail.com>):

[snip]
Post by Bob Bridges
So I'm thinking about switching to Datatype instead of Verify. But for
the 'W' option it doesn't say it's for all-numeric characters; instead
it says "...if string is a REXX whole number under the current setting
of NUMERIC DIGITS". Does that mean the same thing?
No. A whole number can be signed, so it can be prefixed with a + or -.
Post by Bob Bridges
What might be a REXX whole number but contain other characters?
("5.0", maybe?)
That would be a real number.
Post by Bob Bridges
And what does NUMERIC DIGITS have to do with whether it's a whole number?
REXX stores its numbers as character strings. There is a modifiable
limit to how long such a string can be and still be a valid number.
--
Regards,

Dave [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
***@googlemail.com (David W Noon)
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Bob Bridges
2017-07-07 19:56:34 UTC
Ok, so I can't use Datatype('W') for numeric checks, but I can still switch to Datatype('U') and Datatype('L') for the others. Thanks.

---
Bob Bridges
***@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
***@InfoSecInc.com

/* re-cur-sive (ri: 'kr sIv), from "re-" + Lat. "cursire" (to say "Oh, hell, not AGAIN!"): See "recursive". */

Andreas Fischer
2017-07-10 05:55:39 UTC
that's what i would recommend. testing with datatype('W') is treacherous
in such cases.

regards,
andi
Datum: 07.07.2017 21:58
Betreff: Re: [TSO-REXX] DATATYPE(W)?
Ward Able, Grant
2017-07-10 12:00:13 UTC
Why cant you use Datatype('W')?

If DATATYPE(substr(aid,2,3),'W') = 1 then.........

Regards – Grant

Phone Internal – 201496
External – 02076501496
London
7th Floor
Broadgate West

For TSO-REXX subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO TSO-REXX
DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and any attachments from your system. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
Jérôme Cheynier

Bob Bridges
2017-07-11 02:15:16 UTC
Right, and Datatype('W') thinks "1.0" is a whole number, too. Well, it is...but it doesn't consist only of the ten numeric digits. So 'U' and 'L' will work for my purposes, but if I want to know whether something consists only of numeric digits I'll have to stick to Verify(x,'0123456789').

---
Bob Bridges
***@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
***@InfoSecInc.com

/* Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. -Aristotle */

Glenn Knickerbocker
2017-08-07 19:46:25 UTC
Post by Bob Bridges
Right, and Datatype('W') thinks "1.0" is a whole number, too.
'1.' is also a whole number, which it always slightly surprises me to
remember. With that knowledge, this fakeout *nearly* gets you there:

Datatype('+'num'.', 'W')

* A number can't have two signs,
* a number has to have at least one digit,
* an exponent can't have a decimal point, and
* there can't be a blank between a digit and a decimal point.

However, there can be blanks after the sign, so it's good only if you
also know:

¬Abbrev(num, ' ')

¬R
Glenn Knickerbocker

2017-08-07 20:20:42 UTC
Post by Glenn Knickerbocker
Post by Bob Bridges
Right, and Datatype('W') thinks "1.0" is a whole number, too.
'1.' is also a whole number, which it always slightly surprises me to
Datatype('+'num'.', 'W')
* A number can't have two signs,
* a number has to have at least one digit,
* an exponent can't have a decimal point, and
* there can't be a blank between a digit and a decimal point.
However, there can be blanks after the sign, so it's good only if you
¬Abbrev(num, ' ')
I forget the objective. But it may be easier to convert the
number to canonical form by adding 0:

say ' - 12.34e+5 ' + 0
-1234000

... But wnat non-canonical forms do you consider acceptable?

Jérôme Cheynier
2017-08-08 11:26:13 UTC
Glenn solution is not obvious neither 'natural' but works fine. To avoid
the last problem :

num = " 12" ==> Datatype('+'num'.', 'W') = 1 (true),

I'll sugest :

datatype("+1"num".",'W') = 0 (false)
Andreas Fischer
2017-07-10 13:10:23 UTC
because A-23 would considered to be valid then although it mostly likely
is an invalid value when it comes to something like userids or so.
datatype('W') will only fulfill your needs if you really test for a whole
number.

regards,
andi
2017-07-10 13:34:54 UTC
Post by Ward Able, Grant
Why cant you use Datatype('W')?
If DATATYPE(substr(aid,2,3),'W') = 1 then.........
Amateurish. Simply:
If DATATYPE(substr(aid,2,3),'W') then.........

If you believe boolean expressions need to be compared to 1, then why not:
If ( ( DATATYPE(substr(aid,2,3),'W') = 1 ) = 1 ) = 1 then.........

... which means the same thing?

Gerard Schildberger
2017-07-07 19:47:15 UTC
Post by Bob Bridges
[...]
No, not the same. The number (if it's a number) is rounded using the
current NUMERIC DIGITS. So, 123456789123 wouldn't be a whole number
with NUMERIC DIGITS 9 (for instance).
Post by Bob Bridges
What might be a REXX whole number but contain other characters? ("5.0", maybe?)
Yes, 5.0 is a whole number.
Post by Bob Bridges
And what does NUMERIC DIGITS have to do with whether it's a whole number?
Anyone know?
(See the 1st response above.)

The string 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000007
is also a whole number.

Also, in REXX, a number can have leading and/or trailing blanks.

In addition, there may be any number of blanks after the (first)
sign.

Furthermore, 5E1 (and 5e1) are also whole numbers. So is
1.5e+1 and +1500e-2 and others of that ilk.
_______________________________ Gerard Schildberger
Tom Conley
2017-07-10 17:28:55 UTC
Post by Bob Bridges
Frequently in my REXXing I have to determine whether a string fits a certain pattern. For example, at one client a human ID must be six bytes long, start with 'A' and two or three more upper-case letters, then end in numerals. I've gotten in the habit of using Verify for this; I define three variables
nu='0123456789'
lc='abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
uc='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
/* Judge whether the supplied character string would be a user ACID of
the type that TOPS is authorized to handle. */
isuser: procedure expose uc nu
arg aid
if length(aid)<>6 then return 0
if left(aid,1)<>'A' then return 0
pn=verify(aid,uc)
if pn<4 then return 0
return (verify(substr(aid,pn),nu)=0)
Bob,

Use datatype 'N' (just used it this morning for eight-character numeric
userids).

Regards,
Tom Conley

Bob Bridges

Tom Conley
2017-07-11 15:52:06 UTC
Post by Bob Bridges
Datatype('+3.5E-5','N') returns 1; the value is numeric, alright, according to REXX rules, but you don't want '+', '.', 'E' or '-' in your userIDs.
---
Bob Bridges
Yeah yeah, knew my input, took a shortcut, sue me ;-)

Bob Bridges