REXX enhancement idea[s both]
2017-03-16 17:20:09 UTC
You do realize that there is a "REXX standard" and so REXX has
been implemented on/with several systems. Regina REXX, OOREXX,
etc. are all part of this.
REXX is available for Linux, OS2, AS400, DOS/VSE/ESA, Windows,
and others (I don't keep up with all of them).
So, perhaps you need to look for the REXX Language site and make
your requests there? http://www.rexxla.org/
Oh, heck! TSO-Rexx doesn't even have the Rexx standard stream
I/O. How much more deficient could it be?
OK, this is definitely only for UNIX shell users. It is inspired by ISPF's
support for writing dialogs in REXX. I would like an interface to write
"full screen" display interactions. I want one which is like the C "curses"
library. And one which is for X11 display, perhaps "xcurses". I realize
that, to be attractive to IBM (or even another vendor such as Rocket
Software - hint, hint), this interface would need to be a priced program
product.
ISPF lately provides regular expressions, but only as search targets,
not in replacements, as in:
525 $ echo First,Last | sed 's/\(.*\),\(.*\)/Before: \1 SEPARATOR After: \2/'
Before: First SEPARATOR After: Last

... I could easily imagine this being done as:
CHANGE R'\(.*\),\(.*\)' R'Before: \1 SEPARATOR After: \2'
Of course, I may be the only person in the known, and unknown, universe who
would really like to write ISPF-like REXX programs for use by UNIX shell
users.
Another missing piece is Enhanced ASCII Library support for z/OS XL C/C++.

But ISPF Edit/View lately has a rudimentary understanding of UTF-8, within
the limits of the display device.

2017-03-16 17:24:28 UTC
(Adding mention of X11 and Curses in next-to-last paragraph.)
[...]

Another missing piece is Enhanced ASCII Library support for Curses and X11
in z/OS XL C/C++.