EXECIO DISKW return codes
Jesse 1 Robinson
2017-02-11 17:10:28 UTC
We are trying to debug a Rexx supplied by MVS PSF but modified here in the way distant past. It's AFRREBLK in SMPE library SAPSEXEC. Its purpose is to handle an AFP file uploaded from, say Unix, to reblock/reformat it for MVS. There is code in the Rexx to handle return codes from DISKW, but I cannot find these all of these codes documented in KC. Here diskw_rc is RC from EXECIO.

when diskw_rc = 1 then /* LRECL exceeded */

when diskw_rc = 113 then /* Out of Space */

when diskw_rc = 136 then /* FM not accessed */

I can see where KC documents RC=1 as 'record truncation', consistent with 'LRECL exceeded'. I don't find anything corresponding to 'Out Space' or 'FM not accessed', whatever FM is. In any case our error is RC=1, which is there. I'm more curious about the other codes. BTW these are the only specific conditions tested for in the Rexx; anything else gets a generic 'wha hoppened'?

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
323-715-0595 Mobile
626-543-6132 Office <===== NEW
***@sce.com<mailto:***@sce.com>

2017-02-12 15:22:06 UTC
Post by Jesse 1 Robinson
I can see where KC documents RC=1 as 'record truncation', consistent with 'LRECL exceeded'. I don't find anything corresponding to 'Out Space' or 'FM not accessed', whatever FM is. In any
"FileMode" is CMS jargon for "Drive Letter". If you're sure you're
reading a TSO manual and not CMS, an RCF is in order.

Jesse 1 Robinson
2017-02-12 23:31:08 UTC
Jamie Gibson let me know off-list about another KC item:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSB27U_6.3.0/com.ibm.zvm.v630.dmsb4/excio.htm

For whatever reason, this doc shows a much more complete list of return codes for VM even though AFAIK Rexx is Rexx.

.
.

2017-02-13 05:50:47 UTC
Post by Jesse 1 Robinson
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSB27U_6.3.0/com.ibm.zvm.v630.dmsb4/excio.htm
For whatever reason, this doc shows a much more complete list of return codes for VM even though AFAIK Rexx is Rexx.
Not entirely. In z/OS, EXECIO is part of Rexx. In CMS, EXECIO
is independent of Rexx, and older than Rexx. EXECIO is not part
of standard Rexx, but since it already existed in CMS, Rexx there
chose to use EXECIO and (initially) ignore standard Rexx I/O.
Ironically, CMS Rexx later embraced standard Rexx I/O while
z/OS really has not.