REXX enhancement idea #2 - "full screen" display for UNIX shell
John McKown
2017-03-16 12:47:22 UTC
OK, this is definitely only for UNIX shell users. It is inspired by ISPF's
support for writing dialogs in REXX. I would like an interface to write
"full screen" display interactions. I want one which is like the C "curses"
library. And one which is for X11 display, perhaps "xcurses". I realize
that, to be attractive to IBM (or even another vendor such as Rocket
Software - hint, hint), this interface would need to be a priced program
product.

Of course, I may be the only person in the known, and unknown, universe who
would really like to write ISPF-like REXX programs for use by UNIX shell
users.

Another possibility would be for the ISPF people to decouple from the TSO &
3270 display interface and make their product so that it could run under
TSO, as it does today, or under a UNIX shell. That would actually be the
better of the two ideas, I think.

--
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

IronSphere by SecuriTeam Software
2017-03-16 12:54:35 UTC
Afaik uss aupports x11 protocol. I use dialog to create screens. Not sure
if there is a mainframe version. But you have to get rid of the 3270
datastream first...

ITschak
John McKown
2017-03-16 13:03:53 UTC
On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 7:55 AM, IronSphere by SecuriTeam Software <
Post by IronSphere by SecuriTeam Software
Afaik uss aupports x11 protocol. I use dialog to create screens. Not sure
if there is a mainframe version. But you have to get rid of the 3270
datastream first...
​True. I use "ssh -X" to connect from my Linux desktop to a z/OS UNIX
shell. I have some X programs: xterm & nedit; which run fine that way. I
would really like to be able to use ISPF services, including the DISPLAY
oriented ones, to write UNIX applications. I would really like it if the
ISPF resources, in this case, could reside in z/OS UNIX directories. And
that UNIX environment variables could be used like DD statements are in
TSO. E.g.

export ISPPLIB=/usr/lpp/ISPF/SISPPENU:~/panels #and so on
ispf-app & #run ispf-app on X window - detach from shell.​

John McKown
2017-03-16 13:34:25 UTC
On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 8:12 AM, IronSphere by SecuriTeam Software <
Post by IronSphere by SecuriTeam Software
Dialog is a fair alternative.
​Is this now on z/OS? I'm stuck on z/OS 1.12 until end-of-life for the
mainframe here. ​

Steve Thompson
2017-03-16 13:18:47 UTC
You do realize that there is a "REXX standard" and so REXX has
been implemented on/with several systems. Regina REXX, OOREXX,
etc. are all part of this.

REXX is available for Linux, OS2, AS400, DOS/VSE/ESA, Windows,
and others (I don't keep up with all of them).

So, perhaps you need to look for the REXX Language site and make
your requests there? http://www.rexxla.org/

Regards,
Steve Thompson
John McKown
2017-03-16 13:39:50 UTC
Post by Steve Thompson
You do realize that there is a "REXX standard" and so REXX has
been implemented on/with several systems. Regina REXX, OOREXX,
etc. are all part of this.
REXX is available for Linux, OS2, AS400, DOS/VSE/ESA, Windows,
and others (I don't keep up with all of them).
So, perhaps you need to look for the REXX Language site and make
your requests there? http://www.rexxla.org/
​Excellent! Thank you for that pointer.​ I went there and found out about
BSF4ooRexx, which I might be able to convert from ooRexx to IBM z/OS REXX.
It is a package which allows ooREXX to use the Java JRE. Which would be a
way to get what I want.
Post by Steve Thompson
Regards,
Steve Thompson
Bill Turner, WB4ALM
2017-03-16 14:19:56 UTC
Check with the ooRexx folks, BEFORE trying that conversion.

You may find out that there is a version of ooRexx available on ZOS...

(I'm not sure if there is or not, but I think somebody is working on it.)

Goto Sourceforge and sign up for the mailing list...

http://sourceforge.net/oorexx

oorexx-***@lists.sourceforge.net
oorexx-***@lists.sourceforge.net

/s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm
Post by John McKown
Post by Steve Thompson
You do realize that there is a "REXX standard" and so REXX has
been implemented on/with several systems. Regina REXX, OOREXX,
etc. are all part of this.
REXX is available for Linux, OS2, AS400, DOS/VSE/ESA, Windows,
and others (I don't keep up with all of them).
So, perhaps you need to look for the REXX Language site and make
your requests there? http://www.rexxla.org/
​Excellent! Thank you for that pointer.​ I went there and found out about
BSF4ooRexx, which I might be able to convert from ooRexx to IBM z/OS REXX.
It is a package which allows ooREXX to use the Java JRE. Which would be a
way to get what I want.
Post by Steve Thompson
Regards,
Steve Thompson
Rony
2017-03-17 10:16:00 UTC
You may want to look at <https://sourceforge.net/p/bsf4oorexx/mailman/message/35564266/>, it is
about DB2 LUW BSF4ooRexx (implies using ooRexx and Java on the mainframe).

---rony
Post by John McKown
Post by Steve Thompson
You do realize that there is a "REXX standard" and so REXX has
been implemented on/with several systems. Regina REXX, OOREXX,
etc. are all part of this.
REXX is available for Linux, OS2, AS400, DOS/VSE/ESA, Windows,
and others (I don't keep up with all of them).
So, perhaps you need to look for the REXX Language site and make
your requests there? http://www.rexxla.org/
​Excellent! Thank you for that pointer.​ I went there and found out about
BSF4ooRexx, which I might be able to convert from ooRexx to IBM z/OS REXX.
It is a package which allows ooREXX to use the Java JRE. Which would be a
way to get what I want.
Post by Steve Thompson
Regards,
Steve Thompson